Author Topic: But ..what happened to the babies ...?  (Read 16409 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: But ..what happened to the babies ...?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 October 16 06:13 BST (UK) »
Bmac,

It's always good to refer to place names such as Shrewsbury as well as County names such as Shropshire & even England as there are places abroad with place names as well as County names which are same  ::)

Plenty of RC'rs can find things but having to google where places are is time consuming, more so when it's under the heading of "Common Room" i.e. no clue where in terms of geography  :)

As JM mentioned earlier, there are many places around the world with English/Scottish etc. town names which can be confusing too.

I apologise, I didn't realise you had vision problems, I now 'see" what you meant  ;D

Will check Avatar.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 October 16 06:24 BST (UK) »
Ha, my sight fails me now, Avatar too small  ::)

Like your post 'Computer incompetent but still trying'!

We've all been there & still are!

Get used to something having picked up the navigation, format, knowledge, speed etc. then they change it supposedly for the 'better'  ???

I'm still wondering who the 'better' are, as it doesn't include me having yrs of comp experience  ;D  ::)  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 October 16 06:34 BST (UK) »
I know what u mean about importance of places but Id been trying to post all day and rushed to do it before bed so you geniuses across the water could get teeth into it

But some people rush to do the searches before they get details

I recommend asking people what they know already before starting a search

This was a strange case cos I didn't want to muddy waters linking to our Charlotte if it wasn't her

But now it also links with charlotte Pearcy the actress

Not necessary to apologise. you all do such amazing work I can understand frustration if you believe you are on wild goose chase

I thought it was obvious that places were in GB as the post starts that they went all over England

And so they hadn't been doing it since 1901 ....

Ten babies or   more for there were the ones not admitted to in 3 years is still a lot

My link p to disappearing nana is it on here now ..??

Helpful phenomenon is transcribe ing the Brit news reports to put on here ...a mammoth task I think but she's  willing to do it !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 October 16 06:43 BST (UK) »
Bmac,

The link to other thread hasn't been posted on this thread.

I was following a request a wee while ago regarding somewhere abroad & England being mentioned.

The place name as an example was something like 'Middlesex' or 'London' so I was researching England but the place was as I say an example (Canada) as there are both in Canada as well as England.

The poster hadn't stipulated clearly enough  ::)

Annie

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 October 16 07:37 BST (UK) »
They made the welsh papers too, her is an article giving Lottie Roberts age as 20 years

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3808129/3808135/89/baby%20exchange

Did she do the 8 months hard labour?

GenesReunited paysite articles http://www.GenesReunited.co.nz/searchbna/results?memberlastsubclass=none&searchhistorykey=0&keywords=baby%20exchange
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks whiteout we don't know what became of Charlotte

This is all very new our Charlotte would have been 28 in 1907 and this Charlotte certainly looks older than 20

Also the baby that Charlotte cried about in court was bornn1906 and the detailed report of court case form trove said she'd been in this condition before and had found a nice home for her baby .

the family my adopted nan was put in were not rich but sympathetic towards saving children from a work house fate the grandad Samuel Hallis been brought up in one himself in 1840

Charlotte had maisie in Dec 1899 aged 19
And she must have stayed with her til at least march when maisie was baptised

The fact that the court case refers to her as Charlotte Roberts is a good indication that it was her legal name ...someone from Liverpool or Birkenhead could have identified her

Starting to ask people about family likeness..I didn't see any at first but other family members are saying she does look like her daughter and 1 granddaughter

Someone even thinks if I had dark hair I would resemble her .

So the clues are adding up ...and maybe a prison record with an address of destination will help .

In an hour I.ll phonevWirrel record office to order orig birth cert .exact date may help find her on 1939 register tho if her noteriety reached Australian papers she may have wanted to get far away and use her stage name or alias or marry.

Hanging onn tenterhooks here and eyes are straining so mustn't go on computer too much
Need to keep family up to date too

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 October 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
The earliest reference I can find to Leo Selwyn is in The Era (3rd June 1899).  I can't find any reference to Lottie Roberts except in conjunction with the baby trafficking case.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 October 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
 well done  I wonder if they got back together after their hard labour sounds as if he really cared for her.and helped her when she was pregnant with another man's child .

But maybe she couldn't bear to admit she was 6 years older .

No sign of asuitable  Charlotte Roberts or Bourne B circa 1886. So far

And all Birth baptism and 1891 census for our Charlotte Roberts.

Mum is warning me not to get too excited cos she had researched the wrong Charlotte roberts for 6 years ....visiting hoardings graves in sales and houses shed livid in in Birkenhead nr Liverpool a dressmaker B 1878 who was on 1901 census

Re the place names wonder why the Brisbane telegraph didn't specify that the town's were England

Don't know the whereabouts of their homonyms in Oz but imagine the distance would be too great to pick up a baby in one town and deliver it to another in less than 2 days !  And collecting girls from Belfast on the ferry

More questions than answers !   Some things we.ll just never know

Knowing she was an actress pre 1906 links her with being the actress agee 20 Lottie Percy on 1901 census

Wonder which prisons  they were sent to