Author Topic: Possible adoption  (Read 455 times)

Offline carolp88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible adoption
« on: Saturday 22 October 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Can I ask you to help look up the following person who I was told was adopted, but not sure whether it was official or not!!
JP born in the September Quarter of 1944 in Croydon, Surrey.
Would love to know if you can find out anything about her?
Many thanks,
Carol

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible adoption
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
If she's in the birth index then she won't be in the adopted childrens index with that name unless she was adopted by the spouse of a birth parent.

If you have the birth cert that matches the GRO index then it should say on the right hand side whether she was adopted.

Is she still alive?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline carolp88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
If she's in the birth index then she won't be in the adopted childrens index with that name unless she was adopted by the spouse of a birth parent.

If you have the birth cert that matches the GRO index then it should say on the right hand side whether she was adopted.

Is she still alive?

Hi Dawn,

I do have the birth certificate which gives no father's name, and it was a family story, that because her mother was not married, she was adopted by the local doctor, whether that meant, he actually adopted her, or found someone else, I don't know. Whether she is still alive or not, I do not know, because all this happened before my time, and I only ever heard that she was given up for adoption.
Any further help would be appreciated. JP would actually be a cousin of mine, and does have two other half brother and sister. Not sure on how to go about this, so, are we saying, that if you can not find the entry details on the GRO under that name then the person could well be adopted, as I have the certificate, and it doesn't say adopted, what then!!?? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I don't know how to go about searching for her.
Many thanks,
Carol

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
If you have bought a copy of the birth cert from the GRO and there is no annotation on the right hand side then she wasn't legally adopted. Some people have the original birth certs issued at the time of the birth registration which obviously aren't annotated.

Her birth mother may not have consented to her adoption and she might have grown up with a family under a fostering type arrangement.

She may have had her named changed or not.

(I'm going to remove her name in accordance with our 'no living people' policy.)

As to finding her, that will be more tricky.

I would have thought someone born in 1944 might have needed a passport and would need a birth cert. That would have prompted a search and maybe the realisation the name she grew up with wasn't her birth name.

More difficult if she was given to a family who then left the country with her.

There are 12 people in the birth index with her name but only 10 marriages. If you are determined to find her you would need to buy those 10 marriages to rule names in or out.

There are no entries upto 2007 in the death index.

Then the best way forward might be for you to investigate if you can and register on the GRO adoption contact register here

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

or here

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/default.htm

or here

http://www.missing-you.net/categories/adoptions.php

in the hope that she has also registered to find their birth family.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 16 23:33 BST (UK) »
She appears in the GRO Indexes with that name and the same mothers maiden name,so was probably brought up as such.Unless she was adopted but kept her birth name-inusual though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Looking for the birth of Kathleen Jones Neve, born 21st February 1929
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 October 16 23:37 BST (UK) »
But the birth cert you have shows she wasn't legally adopted out of her birth family.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline carolp88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 October 16 23:41 BST (UK) »
But the birth cert you have shows she wasn't legally adopted out of her birth family.
There is no indication or comment that an adoption took place, it was spoken about within the family, and as far as I know, no one in our family adopted her!
Thanks,
Carol