Author Topic: Wetton of Hartshorne and first marriage of Mary Webster  (Read 811 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wetton of Hartshorne and first marriage of Mary Webster
« on: Tuesday 25 October 16 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can please help me solve my conundrum?

I am researching the family of William Wetton (born c1718) of Hartshorne. I think he may be a son of John and Grace who had family there at the time, but alas no baptism for him.

Also, his second wife, Mary Webster, had been married previously to Thomas Webster. All is accounted for apart from the existence of a marriage between her and Thomas Webster. They had three children between 1754 and 1760, the year Thomas died. I know she was a widow in 1761 at her marriage to William Wetton as this is stated in the parish register.

I have searched the Derbyshire Marriage Index and all of the Hartshorne registers which are online, to no avail. I have also tried a general Ancestry search, but there is nothing conclusive.

If anyone can find the answer I'd be ever so grateful! I dearly want to know Mary's maiden name.

Thanks,

Kells.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Wetton of Hartshorne and first marriage of Mary Webster
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was his first wife Eleanor Betson?  If so their first child named Edward born 1841 could be an indication as to the Father of William.

If the above marriage is correct, have you considered the christening of William Wetton 29. 3. 1720
In Eggington Derbyshire son of Edward Wetton.

Eggington is abt 6 miles from Hartshorne.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wetton of Hartshorne and first marriage of Mary Webster
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove.

Eleanor was William's first wife.

That is a good suggestion for the Eggington William. I had initially also looked at others outside of Hartshorne but worked on the assumption that all of the Hartshorne Wettons were related. Perhaps some of them spread out a little. A witness at William's second marriage was George Wetton, who is definitely part of the Hartshorne family of John and Grace.

I will look at this a lot more closely.

Thanks for taking the time :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.