Author Topic: Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)  (Read 7725 times)

Offline acorn baby

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking for family in angus, aberdeenshire, fife
    • View Profile
Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)
« on: Wednesday 26 October 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that somebody may recognise the people or the building/background in this photo. My family held onto this in their photo collection, which has now been passed to me. There were no written notes or printer's mark on the photo. Due to my family's connection to Dundee and millwork from the late 1800s until the mid 1900s, I suspect this is probably taken in Dundee. I have many other photos and don't instantly recognise anyone who appears in other photos, perhaps someone reading this will recognise someone. My family names (and various branches) who may possible appear in the photo include Massie, Stewart, Wilson, Nicol, Ironside, Robertson, Hutcheson (but not an complete list)
Massie - Dundee, Brechin,
Nicoll - Letham, Forfar
Wilson - Dundee, Fife, Aberdeenshire
Stewart - Cupar Angus, Dundee
Chalmers - Forfar area
Murray - Forfar area
Moug - Forfar area
Tyrie - Forfar area
Collie - Forfar area

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Sorry, I don't know any of the people but I notice all the seated women, except for the older lady in the dark dress, are holding something white in their hand. The three on the left are holding it in the same way, between thumb & forefinger then out between pinkie & ring finger. Maybe a working tool of some kind?
     Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline acorn baby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
yes it may be weaver's scissors and needles, but it's hard to see for sure. i am hoping to identify the mill or the people by narrowing it down somehow!
Nicoll - Letham, Forfar
Chalmers - Forfar area
Murray - Forfar area
Moug - Forfar area
Tyrie - Forfar area
Collie - Forfar area

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
The tools they are holding seem to have a slight curve at the end and look like they might be carpet making tools. The first two ladies at the front are also wearing protective leathers straps on their right wrists.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 03:57 GMT (UK) »
The tools they are holding seem to have a slight curve at the end and look like they might be carpet making tools. The first two ladies at the front are also wearing protective leathers straps on their right wrists.
Hi there Heather from another Heather it looks like clippers, maybe a single needle for working up a ladder when the thread broke and a hand wool winder everyone would have probably worked in the same area but had a different task on the machines in the area. I actually worked in a knitting mill a couple of times in New Zealand thought it was really neat to have a chance to experience what my ancestors had done in the past gives you more of an idea of the skills they needed although our conditions and pay were a lot better. My Information is on WikiTree if you care to look I am sure we must have some relatives in common as my Rea, Stewart, Dickson, Morrison, MacDonald, Burns, Milne and other families appear to have been resident weavers in that district Forfar Aberdeen Angus, Dundee and Perthshire for at least 500 years I would be surprised if we didn't have some relatives in common. I have had a DNA done and lots of matches connected to my Scottish grandmother whose Dad was Nicol Rea so fingers crossed I would be surprised if we were not cousins. Heather Barford

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi ab,

It looks to me, that the women who Dod pointed out, are holding snips/clippers (pic attached)?

"Forged Steel Thread Snip. Quickly and clean snip threads, etc. with just a gentle squeeze Spring action for super fast cutting. Ideal for upholstery, dress making & crafts"

It may be worth putting the pic on the 'Free Photo Restoration & Date Old Photographs' board for dating of the clothing they're wearing?

You can then possibly find your relatives on census' as Mill Workers or similar & from the clothes dating find which companies were around such as Jute/Flax Mills?

They do look very well dressed for such a job though i.e. may have been a snap taken last day before a holiday or similar....just a thought?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MarjorieMcLeish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I was looking at your picture you posted on here , I am more then certain the gentleman on the left is my husband grandfather William McLeish ! He and almost all his family and relatives worked in the Jute mill they were yarndressers , weavers , Spinsters..In the 1800s and 1900s as well , .. I have a few Pictures of him as well if you would like to see , Do you have anymore pictures to share ? I am intersted... We also have  wilson in my husband family tree as well , Thank you ....

McLeish
Small
Hagan
Wilson
Gardiner
Gardner
Ross
Williamson

Offline acorn baby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Marjorie, I am very interested in contact. I have a feeling we do indeed have a connection and would love to discuss the Wilson connection too. Do you know, what Jute mill did William work in? I would like to see other photographs if you will post here? Thanks for the contact
Nicoll - Letham, Forfar
Chalmers - Forfar area
Murray - Forfar area
Moug - Forfar area
Tyrie - Forfar area
Collie - Forfar area

Offline MarjorieMcLeish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:57 BST (UK) »
I am not sure which Jute mill they were at , I do have a street address at the time when they worked in Jute mill , also from  where they were from census records on family, I am not sure how to post a picture on here , Do you know how to ? The  Wilson in my are thru my husband grandmother sister she was Hannah Hagan born April 06,1873 ,Married David Rodney Wilson on Nov  26, 1900 in Dundee, Scotland ,  I know they had a Daughter named Marjory Mackie Wilson born in Newbigging,scotland  July 14, 1911 They had 10 children and 7 survived to be adults, six of them emigrated to United states of Americia ! My husband McLeish clan worked in the Jute mills ! there were alot of the McLeish family that worked there ,
McLeish
Small
Hagan
Wilson
Gardiner
Gardner
Ross
Williamson