Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 235 - Coast Scene  (Read 30054 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 235 - Coast Scene
« Reply #72 on: Friday 28 October 16 12:39 BST (UK) »

Caz,

I'd say the picture was taken from the top of a similar adjacent outcrop of rock. The alternating hard/soft rock types could give rise to this kind of coastline with numerous small bays and headlands.

In fact the two objects at the bottom of the picture which have been identified as possibly a boat may mean the area between the camera and the bridge is being used as a small harbour?

Nick

Thanks for the explanation Nick.   Also for confirmation that it is a bridge intended for use by people.  That eliminates a few lines of enquiry.  :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 28 October 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
However - seeing as the rock strata do go the wrong way, and the background still doesn't match brilliantly, I can see that it probably isn't St Catherines after all - so sorry for the false hope! 
(You have to admit it did have possibility!!!)

Hope we can find it!

It certainly did have possibility!  As always with these threads, I am learning all the time about locations - I knew about the bridge on Newquay beach, but had forgotten Porth Beach and didn't know about St Catherine's!  Just wait until there's a pub quiz question on rocks linked by bridges  ;)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 28 October 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
It certainly did have possibility!  As always with these threads, I am learning all the time about locations - I knew about the bridge on Newquay beach, but had forgotten Porth Beach and didn't know about St Catherine's! Just wait until there's a pub quiz question on rocks linked by bridges  ;)
Mine will be Workhouses and Boys Homes of the late 19th and early 20th century. ( bloody number 12-but I did find a great site on Childrens Homes and Workhouses )

Just on this one , and from a very distant observation , when I first looked I thought Cornish coast or further up towards Wales. Only from googling towns my ancestors may have lived in. Also great work by Nick and Despair especially. Everyone else as well ;)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 28 October 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
Inspite of Scouse Boy's insistence, I'm far more convinced by the detailed explanations given by others that it is definitely a footbridge.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 28 October 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
I sincerely and honestly think that the structure is NOT  a  bridge  but  a construction to carry cables across  a gap.  Perhaps telephone, telegraph  or electricity.
Is there an absence  of trees on the opposite bank?

Why would anyone want to take a photograph of cables? :-\

Why would anyone want to carry cables to a rock? :-\
   The main point of the photograph is the view across the water.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 28 October 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
Caz, I meant to ask earlier, what's the source of the photograph? Is it a postcard, a negative or a print from an album etc?

If a negative or print, it is possible that the image has been reversed from real life, with the negative being the wrong way round during exposure or printing. There is nothing (like writing) that would highlight this error. I've flipped the picture to illustrate the point.

Also, there is a bright 'dot' in the far distance where I've added a red arrow. Is this dot damage on the print/negative, or possibly a reflection of sunlight?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 28 October 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
I sincerely and honestly think that the structure is NOT  a  bridge  but  a construction to carry cables across  a gap.  Perhaps telephone, telegraph  or electricity.
Is there an absence  of trees on the opposite bank?

Why would anyone want to take a photograph of cables? :-\

Why would anyone want to carry cables to a rock? :-\
   The main point of the photograph is the view across the water.

If that was so why take a few steps sideways? Or point the camera in a slightly different direction? Or walk to the wall and take it from there?

IMHO the point of the photograph was the rock and the bridge.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 28 October 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
I suspect it is because I've got Cornwall on the brain, but that flipped photo reminds me of the view over to RAF Perranport http://www.westbriton.co.uk/1-49m-perranporth-airfield-sale/story-18023582-detail/story.html  Chapel Rock is there?

ETA - but having an RAF base would be daft if the photo was Edwardian.  Sorry  :'(

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 28 October 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
I'm just guessing at the Edwardian as it's similar to others that I know to be from that era.  It is sepia  as shown and on wafer thin paper.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]