Author Topic: Probate record Canterbury held at Somerset House,London.  (Read 2481 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Probate record Canterbury held at Somerset House,London.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 October 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
How does Milburge/Milbrowe Bucke fit into your family tree?

The records you have found are also on FamilySearch:
Baptism: 24 June 1623, Severn Stoke, Worcestershire
Milbrowe Buck, daughter of Brutus Buck
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGS9-RVL

Marriage: 22nd February 1668, Dymock, Gloucestershire
Milberrow Bach to William Burrupp
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NL8D-SM7

There is a Monastary of St Milburge in Much Wenlock, Shropshire?
And about the name:
http://www.name-doctor.com/name-milburge-meaning-of-milburge-48231.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 October 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all can some one tell me what (als) means.

Als is short for Alias. It simply means 'otherwise'. It identifies any alternative name by which someone was known.

If you look at the image of this record, rather than at Ancestry's half-baked attempt to index it, you will see that the actual source is the Index of Acts of Administration in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) for 1653-54, volume 3 (not 111), folio 196.

A grant of administration is made when someone applies to the court to handle the estate of someone who had died without leaving a valid will.

So this entry suggests that Milburge BUCKE, otherwise known as Milburge FAWCONER, of Kingsclere in Hampshire, had died by 1653/54 without leaving a valid will, and that someone had applied to the court to handle her estate.

The original records of grants of Administration in the PCC, which would tell you who that person was, are no longer held at Somerset House. They are the National Archives (PROB 6). They are not online.

A possible interpretation of als in this case is that FAWCONER/FALKNER (or a variant) was the married surname of Milburge BUCKE. Have you tried looking for a marriage for Milburge?

It may be difficult to pursue this, as it is the Commonwealth Period, when records can be a bit thin on the ground.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 October 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Bookbox  thank you so much for this information.
I have looked for a marriage for her but no luck, tried Severn Stoke and Hampshire.
Hampshire would fit as her father was as in my earlier post, stationed at the fort Sandown
Isle of Wight.
The only marriage name not quite right is Milberrou Bach 22nd Feb 1668-William Burrup Dymock
Gloucestershire.
However if you are telling me she died 1653 abt it cannot be the one.
The Bucke's are a well known family in Worcestershire connected to the Wilmslow and Clifton
families.
I am descended from the Clifton's.
Family can be found on History on Line Severn Stoke.
Although at the moment I am stuck as I will explain to KGarrad  as he asked for my tree.
 regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 October 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hello KGarrad thank you yes Milburge was made a saint, granddaughter of Penda king of Mercia.
Brutus must have been well educated to know about her 7th centuary different county Salop.
Bookbox tells me that Milburge died about 1653 so marriage to Burrup is not correct.
My tree I thought after 5 years of research goes back to Nicholas Clifton-1588 Severn stoke,my
11th grandfather.
Thomas his son 1541 Severn stoke had two daughters Elianor abt 1570 no (bap),and Ann 1573
Severn Stoke.
Elianor married-Bucke  Brutus was their son(no bap or marr)for him.
Brutus had two daughters Milburge 1623 and Mary 1524 Severn Stoke.
However now I am stuck.
I had a researcher look at Thomas Clifton 1541 I have his will dated 17th may 1575.
My next ancestor is John Clifton 1582 Birtsmorton Worces  son of Thomas Clifton and
Johanne Turner marriage 18th Feb 1581 Birtsmorton.
After that my tree is complete to my grandfather 1895.
Thomas Clifton 1541 had two brothers Edwardus 1540 and Franciscus 1543 Severn Stoke.
So there you have it to say I am at a loss is a understatement.
 regards tobyma123. ???

James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 October 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
For 5 years research that is very good going!
It's taken me 40 years to get back to 1550 :-\
That's ensuring that every step of the way is properly documented with certificates, Parish Registers, census, wills, etc.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
For 5 years research that is very good going!
It's taken me 40 years to get back to 1550 :-\
That's ensuring that every step of the way is properly documented with certificates, Parish Registers, census, wills, etc.

Had to smile at that. I have been looking for ancestors for well over 30 years and cannot get back beyond 1837 on most of my lines.Doesn't help having common surnames of course!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 October 16 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello KGarrad thank you yes I have a few wills and census records.
It is a pity that Worcestershire records are kept in a vault and not on line only some.
I still have that gap so frustrating.
It looks like a private researcher but that is the last resort they charge the earth.
Still onwards and upwards as they say just keep going.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 October 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello carol8353 you have my sympathy although Clifton is a common name sometimes
spelt Clyfton that does not help I guess I have been a bit lucky.
It is easier to find people sometimes in the 1800's I have found.
These records before 1700 can be patchy and that's what most people aim for.
Any idea's from you would be gratefully received this gap in my tree is a bombshell.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record ... the Principal Registry of the Family Division hasn't been at Somerset House for a considerable time now.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright