Author Topic: What happened to John Cook & Frances Crowder 1812-1813 at Knottingley?  (Read 11123 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to John Cook & Frances Crowder 1812-1813 at Knottingley?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 December 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Got Thomas Eadon's Will, but any Henry Mitton of Snaith, Wills available please?

There was also a William Mitton late of Selby, now of Stamford, Lincolnshire, Gent., mentioned in another property transfer.

EDIT: Early 18th Century, Pearson at Selby owned property in Ireland.

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 December 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
No Will on line for Henry Mitton - just Probate Index.

William Mitton of Stamford was the son of Henry Mitton.  He died 1 January 1866.  Exec of his will were Edward Elsdale Clark of Snaith, Thomas Shearburn of Snaith, and William Eadon of Whitley
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 December 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Goughy

Looks like Carter of Knottingley was related, or linked by marriages to the Clark, Mitton, Eadon and Pearson, this would at least explain most of the parties involved, in one of these George Hood property acquisitions.

There might be a more important Selby development, which I'll post on the appropriate thread.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 May 17 00:24 BST (UK) »

... and Geo Hood in 1813 appear as Occupiers in the Knottingley Land Tax for only 1 year ...

In 1814, Occupiers Frances Crowder and Geo Hood also disappear.

Robert HOOD an illegitimate Son of Hannah HOOD, Spinster, baptised 14 February 1813 at Knottingley.

20 August 1838 Robert HOOD of Knottingley married Ann HIRST of Hillam, at Monk Fryston.
(Robert Hood and Ann Hood appear in the 1841; 1851; 1871 Census, with Ann Hood as a Widow in the 1881 Knottingley Census. Ann born Fryston and Monk Fryston).

Ann Hurst was baptised 17 April 1807 at Monk Fryston.

Hannah Hood died in 1842 as a Single Woman, aged 63 years, so born about 1779.

Probably can't prove this online? But I'm wondering if Hannah Hood, was related to my George Hood and the illegitimate birth of Robert Hood had took George to Knottingley, when a 'Geo Hood' appears in the annual Knottingley Land Tax in March 1813.

Wonder if there is any QS payment order for child Robert Hood?

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 May 17 01:06 BST (UK) »

HANAH daughter of John and Sarah Hood bapt. 14 March 1779 Knottingley, St. Botolph

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 May 17 09:52 BST (UK) »

HANAH daughter of John and Sarah Hood bapt. 14 March 1779 Knottingley, St. Botolph

claire

John Hood, Waterman, on Robert Hood's 1838 Marriage was probably Robert Hood's Grandfather.

---------------

1. Wondering if Robert Hood's wife Ann Hirst links to Joseph G[oulton] Hirst, whose wife Emma Hirst born Ledsham appears in the 1891 Census as a visitor in the home of Charles Hood, born Selby?

---------------

According to the ten year earlier 1881 Census at Castleford:-
30 Beancroft Street
Joseph G Hirst, Head, Marr, 26, Stone Mason, born Haitshead, Yorkshire.
Emma Hirst, Wife, Marr, 27, Stone Mason Wife, born Ledsham, Yorkshire.
Amy Hirst, Daur, 3 years, Scholar, born Castleford, Yorkshire.
Oliver Hirst, Son, 6 Mts, born Castleford, Yorkshire.

Can't find the family in 1891.
An Emma Hirst, marr, born Ledsham, Yorkshire, appears as a visitor at 58 Lumly St. Whitwood, home of Charles Hood, aged 30, Railway Signalman, born Selby. Although Emma Hirst's age looks to be 57, instead of 37.

In 1901 Census, 108 Albion Street, Castleford
Joseph Hirst, Head, M, 46, Platelayer (Railway), Worker, born Yorks, Hartshead - cum - Clayton.
Emma Hirst, Wife, M, 47, born Yorks, Ledsham.
Amy Hirst, Daur, S, 23, Certified School Teacher, Worker, born Yorks, Castleford.
Oliver Hirst, Son, S, 20, Bricklayer, Worker, born Yorks, Castleford.

2. Wondering if anything else can be dug up, on the Joseph Goulton Hirst, (born Hartshead cum Clayton per Census)?

Golton / Goulton was witness at Richard Gibson's wedding and also had links to Russell (Hood)?

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Joseph Goulton Hirst's parents married Selby Abbey 20 Feb 1855 by Licence

Oliver Hirst  (born 1829 Clifton cum Harteshead)  - Cord Maker  - Father John Hirst Cord Maker

Grace Sarah Goulton (born 1829 Selby)   Father William James Goulton Farmer (on baptism record in 1829 her father's occupation was given as "Wright"

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Goughy

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 May 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
My father was quite adamant a while back that where our family line comes to a dead end, it would be impossible to get back.

George Hood's Quaker burial too, as Not in Membership, gives little to go on.

I am wondering if George Hood's Seal was deliberately defaced, later sanded off to conceal his identity.

I successfully purchased an original Richard Peirson of Selby Will referring to Lands of Inheritance and all his Estate in Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland, written in 1724 (Memorial registered at Wakefield 1733).

After Sarah Hood's death, her November 1879 burial was read out at the Quaker Meeting at York in mid January 1880, so I have requested a copy of this.

We are hoping that some Selby records of Lord Petre at Preston, might shed some light on G. H.

Surname Alfred linked to the George and John Hood Estates in Ireland, surnames Hood a Surgeon and Cook (George Ann Cook, Esquire of Poland Street, died 1802, but at Bath, was Daily Usher and Waiter to the present King and George II), are all linked to the Royal Household.

Managed to get another Sam'l Hood Will, proved Windsor, the sheet names the Executrix as Eliz'th Hood, but no beneficiaries names, just says Daur. Seems it was left blank when copied 210 years ago into the Register.

Mark