Author Topic: Relative in Canada  (Read 3615 times)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Relative in Canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
I've also been "put on to" Canadian and American relatives via random searches of name etc online throwing up the (often very detailed) Transatlantic Local Newspaper obituaries, which often seem to mention everyone bar the pet parrot - wonderfully informative. Worth a try
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pc99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 October 16 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Yorky,

A few years ago I wanted to trace details of a relative who had emigrated to Canada and by using Canada White Pages I managed to trace his abcestors and have been in touch ever since.

White pages Nova Scotia shows a C. Ellicott living at Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, and gives his address and tele. number. Google White Pages Bridgewater Nova Scotia for details. It may be worth a telephone call to see if he/she is an ancestor.

H.T.H.

pc99. 

Offline pc99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 October 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
Last message should have been addressed to Carole.

pc99

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 October 16 23:53 BST (UK) »
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/ has lots of Winnipeg directories, in 1926/7 only a Beatrice Ellicott is listed,  (Beatrice Florence Ellicott married Albert Walmsley Kirvan in 1927, see http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php ).  Any relation?

My ancestor gave "Winnipeg" as his destination on arrival but remained there for a very short time before moving to Saskatchewan - Denis could have similarly moved around, probably going where there was work if he didn't have relatives to tie him to one place in particular.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 October 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Yorky,

A few years ago I wanted to trace details of a relative who had emigrated to Canada and by using Canada White Pages I managed to trace his abcestors and have been in touch ever since.

White pages Nova Scotia shows a C. Ellicott living at Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, and gives his address and tele. number. Google White Pages Bridgewater Nova Scotia for details. It may be worth a telephone call to see if he/she is an ancestor.

H.T.H.

pc99.

That's a very expensive method - you could spend loads on telephone calls - Canada 411 gives many Ellicott families in Ontario....................

http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=ellicott&where=canada

Perhaps the thread could be moved to the Canada board to see if anyone can see any further record of Denis.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Carolebarritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »

I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to contact me regarding my Great Uncle who went to Canada.  It really is lovely that people still take the time to help others.  I am very impressed by everyone and say a a big thank you.  I know I have not got much further (and unfortunately it does look as if I might not) but knowing the likes of you are out there makes me feel there are still some lovely people in this world.  Carole

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 October 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »

....That's a very expensive method - you could spend loads on telephone calls - Canada 411 gives many Ellicott families in Ontario....................

http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=ellicott&where=canada

Sandra makes an interesting point - you could spend a lot of money on phone calls. But I see 12 of the 14 Ellicotts show the complete mailing addresses including the postal codes. You could send a short inquiry letter including a SASE and see if that produces any results. It might not get you any further but you never know unless you try.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
sami's idea could work.  When I was a teenager, I started researching my ancestors; that was before home computers.  All of my correspondence was done by mail.  I remember sending letters and I received a good number of replies, even from people letting me know we weren't related.  One reply was from a lady whom we believed wasn't related but we still kept in touch.  Many years later, we found out that her ancestor was my ancestor's uncle.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 October 16 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I've done the same thing - included an International Reply coupon (but they didn't know what that was!!).

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY