Author Topic: George Fisher, Poulterer of Duke Street, St. James.  (Read 3175 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Re: George Fisher, Poulterer of Duke Street, St. James.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 November 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ

Of course now I cant find the ref.  I thought it was via G**gle!  This is course means I could be mistaken re the John Fisher, Sword maker.  BUT, if Fisher and Ponder was engraved into the Sword, wouldn't that make them the Swordmaker?!

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline JulieCY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hello - I wonder if anyone is still following this thread?

John Fisher was my husband's 4th Great Grandfather.  I just found his Will online via Ancestry and came across something that I need help interpreting.

The first line of his Will reads: " This is the last will and testament of me John Fisher of Duke Street Grosvenor Square in the parish of St. George Hanover Square in the County of Middlesex chinaman."

Given that we know he was a poulterer and not a dealer in chinaware, does this mean he was Chinese? Is it usual to see someone so described in a legal document?

[url]https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1704/31787_A037140-00103/342632?backurl=https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/1740596/person/100193612726/facts/citation/502134964902/edit/record#?imageId=31787_A037140-00104/url]

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
A chinaman is a dealer in porcelain.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 April 19 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi JulieCY

Is yours the John who married Emma Mortimer?!

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline JulieCY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 April 19 02:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the clarification of the term "chinaman".

Hello Bitzar...yes, this is the John Fisher who married Emma Mortimer. Their son Frederick Charles was my husband's Great Grandfather.  What is your connection to the Fisher Mortimer family??

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:05 BST (UK) »
I’m not connected at all, well not really.  When my friend was starting her research I was helping her do it, that’s why I know a bit about the family but now that’s it’s bigger than big I’ve left it to her!

If you’re on Ancestry like she is then you should have a close relationship.  I don’t know her Ancestry user name though but it’s a locked tree.

Your def descended from the same people though.

Bitzar.

Offline Stevecox7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 February 21 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I picked up this thread on an internet search I was doing for my Fisher ancestors.
George Fisher is a common name up my tree, indeed we have records of five of them (called George the 1st, 2nd etc!).

My uncle George Fisher was killed in the war (a pilot in N Africa). He was a medical student who chose join the airforce. He was George the 5th, and had a family tankard from his ancestors.

His father was Sir Ronald Fisher, 1890, the statistician, youngest son of George (the 4th) who lived in N London as a child. 9 children.

George (the 4th), 1843, was an auctioneer in Hampstead area of London, married to Katie Heath. 7 children.

His father was John Fisher (1818), a lawyer, married to Emma Mortimer. He was the second son (elder brother George, the 3rd - 1815) and started off in the poulterers shop because his brother died in his 20's. 9 children.

His father was George (the 2nd, 1787 probably), who was the poulterer in Duke St. Westminster, Middlesex. He married Sarah Friend from a Thanet family, had 7 children.

At his point I depend on my aunts biog of Ronald Fisher ("RA Fisher, Life of a scientist", pub Wiley in 1976ish, page 5)
Here is the passage:
"The family emerged from obscurity in the first half of the eighteenth century, when George Fisher (previously perhaps a farm laborer in Lincolnshire) set up a poulterer's shop in the parish of St. James's, Piccadilly. John, his only child, inherited the business and, in turn, left it to his only child, George. By this time the business was prosperous. George Fisher became a churchwarden of the parish church and eventually retired to live a few miles away in the celebrated village of Hampstead. His eldest son, George, died in young manhood and, when he summoned his second son, John, from his medical studies to take over the family business, he could afford to buy a Life Governorship of Christ's Hospital in compensation for the sacrificed career. It was a handsome present for a man just come of age.
John, R. A. Fisher's grandfather, is the only one of his ancestors known to have been inclined to a scientific career. At 23, John married the girl from next door," Emma Mortimer, daughter of Thomas Jackson Mortimer, gunsmith of St. James's Street, Piccadilly. The young couple continued to live above the poulterer's shop in Duke Street and to keep shop until the death of conn s father in 1855 (after slipping on a piece of orange peel). Then John invited his younger brother to take over the business and himself retired.."

I am trying to find evidence on George (the first) who moved in to London in the early 1700's, and his son John (probably married to "Ann"). There are about 4 John Fishers in and about London at this point.
If anyone has got this far back with information on B/M/D, i would love to share it!

Best wishes..
Steve Cox