Author Topic: Silverton Gaol prisoner records 1888-1892 (John Shiells born 1866)  (Read 1409 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Silverton Gaol prisoner records 1888-1892 (John Shiells born 1866)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 October 16 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Just found it  ;D

SHEILLS John
FatherThomas
Mother Timins TIMINS
Birth Place LINDENOW
Year 1866
Reg Number 6022

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 16 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

John's surname in the Pioneer Index is indexed as SHEILLS. I do have the certificate and all instances of the surname in this entry are spelled SHIELLS, and that's the way present-day descendants spell it, although whenever I search I look for all variations including those with a D and without an S. The only given name for the child on the certificate is John.

cupoflife - thanks for looking. That was a message I posted many years ago (2004, which gives you some idea of how long I've been trying to nail this man!) after a cousin said she'd heard he emigrated. I spent a good couple of years on this but found no evidence.

Thanks, folks!

Offline Shiells

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
I found the death notice of John's brother Thomas:
*05 Feb 1946 "The Age" Melbourne
DEATH NOTICE. SHIELLS.— Passed away February 3, at 36 Davis-street. Elsternwick, Thomas James, loved brother Jennie (deceased), Julia (deceased), Jack, Frank, Will, Grace, Maude, Horace (deceased), Walter, 24 Motherwell-street, Hawksburn.

which was the first I had found mentioning a "Jack" or John.

It indicates that he was still living in 1946 but I hadn't found any other information until I stumbled on your post.
p.s. as a Shiells myself you get used to all sorts of miss-spellings. I managed to find that birth registration but nothing else so far.