Author Topic: Turnbulls in Sutherland  (Read 2173 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turnbulls in Sutherland
« on: Sunday 30 October 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Turnbull married to Eleanor Robson who went from the Borders as a Shepherd to Sutherland ( Farr and Clyne) about 1800  - 1810. By 1841 he was back in Northumberland with some of his children. I would like to know which farms he worked on in Sutherland. He may be related to John Turnbull who was shepherd at Suisgill. Any ideas on where to look?
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbulls in Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

I am involved with Clyne Heritage Society.

We have OPR birth records for two of William Turnbull and Eleanor (also recorded as Eliza) Robson/Robison in Clyne (Brora).

Donald b.08 Jan 1814, bpt 14 Feb 1815, and William b.23 May 1815, bpt 24 May 1815. Both records state that the children were born at Craggie, which we believe to be Creagandamph or Craggynadamph near Ben Armine Lodge in Strathbrora.

William would at that time have been employed by the then Marquis of Stafford, later Duke of Sutherland.

Looking further afield for other births to the couple, I would suggest that the following belong to them. Nelly is a common diminution of Ellen or Eleanor.

Mariann Turnbull bpt. 02 Sep 1808, Lairg, Sutherland (Father William, Mother Nelly Robson)
George Turnbull b. 24 Jan 1810, bpt. 06 Feb 1810, Lairg  (Father William, Mother Nelly Robson)

and later:

Robison Turnbull b. 05 Apr 1819, bpt. 26 Apr 1819 Farr, Sutherland (Father William, Mother Eleanor Robison)

I don't have access to the original records for Lairg and/or Farr, so am unable to give specific details of which farm/townships within the parishes. You should be able to view these on ScotlandsPeople, but it is pot luck whether the OPR actually states the place of birth, or just the parish.

This shows a common pattern of moving about the highlands for work from parish to parish.

Hope this helps.

Ellen
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline Manlad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I have some family notes about the family of William Turnbull and Eleanor Robson which links well with the information provided by ellenbrora with exception that we have Donald Turnbull as Lancelot Allgood Turnbull. Our John Turnbull born 1823 in Contin, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland died in 1893 in Buffalo, New York, USA,

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Manlad
I have just spotted the post you put on the topic I started. You sent it in January. Rootschat normally sends me an email to say when a new post is added but perhaps I missed it. So pleased to make contact. Apologies for missing your post earlier.  Does the name Laurene Turnbull mean anything to you? She supplied info re Turnbull family to a website on the Turnbull Clan (google it!) That is how I found further info on the line.

Briefly the sister of my 2x great grandfather married Robson Turnbull at Kirknewton, Northumberland in 1843. She was Eliza Redpath. Intrigued by his name and the fact that he was born 100's of miles away yet had come to the wilds of Northumberland, I started researching his ancestry. And discovered his father William had been. Border Shepherd, one of the skilled shepherds who went up to the North of Scotland in early 19c to take charge of the new influx of sheep after the terrible Highland Clearances. He and his siblings were all born up there but most returned with parents between 1830-40 I think and settled in different parts of Northumberland. Another fascinating issue is that there is a recurrent name running thro the generations,to the present  day - Lancelot Allgood Turnbull. It crops up in other forms such as Robson Allgood Turnbull also. Now Lancelot Allgood was a famous MP in 1700s, wealthy, landowner and unlikely to be related to shepherds. The only explanation for th family incorporating those names into their family would be that it was done as a sign of respect to their employer. Or he fathered an illegitimate child who was given that name!!! Take your pick.

The other amazing thing is that while I was researching the family tree of a friend,s husband I discovered that one of his relatives had married into this Turnbull line. Quite a coincidence! There is more....I then found out that one of the Turnbull descendants had come to th village I moved to in 2004, started a steam traction business for which he is still remembered and so there are a couple of LATurnbulls living near me!

This is a long winded explanation of why I am interested and yes, please, I would love to see  what you have on the Turnbulls. Perhaps you are related to Laurene. I was wondering how I could make contact with the US branch and perhaps I have now been lucky.

I have recently  made contact with Jennnzl on Rootschat who believes she is descended from this line and has further info.

Look forwrd to learning more. Oh by the way I discovered that DONALD. Is indeed Lancelot Allgood. The name was difficult to read but I confirmed it as L.......A......from the original entry.

Best wishes
Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)