Author Topic: Are these photos the same man? Great Grandad Scales (Bermondsey)  (Read 2819 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Are these photos the same man? Great Grandad Scales (Bermondsey)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
......add me to the Yes side.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I would agree, yes

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 20:13 GMT (UK) »
See  my post #5, I nearly added, but I'm always wrong with these comparison photos... It looks like I'm wrong  again ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Man in bottom photo has a much longer chin however that may be due to the angle the photo was taken. My first thought was that they are two different men but the more I look at it the more similarities I see.

Same hat anyway.  ;)
    The hats have a different pattern on them.

It was a joke SB.

That chin still bothers me a bit. The man in pic 2 has a bit of a Jimmy Hill look about him whereas in the top photo the chin is quite small though the distance between bottom lip and the line above the chin is a long on both men. Eyes and eyebrows could be the same, ears may be, hat definitely the same (style), nose could be the same. Might the nose in the first photo be broken? Lines at side of mouth very similar.

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody for your help, much appreciated. I was erring on the side of yes too, but needed some verification. In case anyone is interested, the reason I am trying to establish if it's the same man is because:

My GG Scales worked as a Wheelwright at a motor and coaching company called Wiggs up to the 1930s, but then moved to the Bermondsey Borough Council Wheelwrights' Shop. I thought he moved there in 1941, but I found a photo of the council department (attached) from 1937 which shows he was there sooner.

Another photo we have of him - the only one my side of the family had - shows him and another man putting up wooden bleachers i.e. crowd seating on scaffolding in a park, which I have put on rootschat previously here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705871

I believe they may be pictured erecting bleachers for the crowds to watch the coronation of King George VI, so the fact that the other man is his colleague from Bermondsey Borough Council strengthens that since it would indicate that the people drafted in to erect the bleachers were from government departments, which is more likely than using private contractors. (The men on the team making the bleachers may also include colleagues from the Carpenters shop of Bermondsey Borough as well since the two departments were closely linked, having previously been one department, and both obviously working with wood. There is a photo of the carpenters shop at the council too though it's too hard to see the men to compare faces).

My GG Scales died in 1946, and my grandad in the 1980s, so no-one is alive who would know what the picture shows, hence the difficulty. For anyone with Ancestry who is interested in the delightful Wheelwrights of Peckham and Bermondsey, the details I know are here: http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/28735129/person/12574831869/facts

Thanks again

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Fabulous photo of the wheelwright's shop - and he's even wearing the same hat!

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 08:04 GMT (UK) »
:

Another photo we have of him - the only one my side of the family had - shows him and another man putting up wooden bleachers i.e. crowd seating on scaffolding in a park, which I have put on rootschat previously here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705871

????   But that's the same photo as in post 1.  If you know that is him, I don't now understand the question.

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 08:31 GMT (UK) »
The man in the hat is not my great grandad. In the Wheelwrights shop photo GG Scales is sitting on the far back left, and in the bleachers picture he is the man on the right. So if the other guy (above) is the same in both photos, it means both depict Bermondsey Borough co-workers.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the yes camp.
Broken nose, same in both photos, and the unusual shape of the ears, plus the same downward sloping eyebrows.
The chin looks different from the front, but it may be the angle or how he is holding his head.

Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk