Author Topic: Mr HOOD & SLIPPER Marriage, Illegitimate Child or Partnership 1780s - Any help?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

I am posting on here because later newspapers indicate the Slipper surname was most popular in Norfolk and Suffolk and your coast was accessible to sailing vessels from Selby Yorkshire.

Brief Summary of Who Mr Hood in the Selby Land Tax Might Be
Mr Hood, also listed J Hood in the Selby, Yorkshire Land Tax (1780s) is thought to be the same person as John Hood, Mariner of Selby, who originated from Scarborough, where "Maudland D. of John & Elizabeth Hood" was born "August 15" and baptised on 24 December 1775.

Elizabeth Hood was a Widow of John Leppington, but nee Spencer before that marriage.

Hood & Slipper shared a Dwelling House divided into Two Tenements at Selby, but there is no burial for Slipper at Selby and the Slipper name disappears.

Only Hood Burials at Selby mid 18th Cent to 1819
It seems [widower] John Hood has remarried somewhere, as the only Selby Parish burials are for Jane Hood wife of John Hood of Selby, Mariner 15 August 1803, aged 65 and a 4th April 1819 burial of a John Hood aged 82.

Hood = Slipper Marriage, or Partnership - East Anglia Area?
My questions are:-

is there any Mr Hood to Slipper marriage about circa mid 1780s, or partnership as it could be an abbreviation of Messrs Slipper (some Land tax years), please?

I would also be interested in any child born / baptised Geo or George to a Slipper mother, circa mid 1780s, too?

Also any John Hood, Mariner, Marriage in East Anglia, might be of interest too?

Thank you

Regards Mark

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mr HOOD & SLIPPER Marriage, Illegitimate Child or Partnership 1780s - Any help?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm at a bit of a loss here - if the house was split into 2 tenements clearly Mrs Slipper lived in one and J Hood in the other.   Listed as such in 1784 and 1786 - why would you think that these 2 people ended up 'together'?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mr HOOD & SLIPPER Marriage, Illegitimate Child or Partnership 1780s - Any help?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 02:06 GMT (UK) »
If I'm correct, you are still trying to find the baptism of your George Hood, of Selby, who died 18/9/1845 aged 63 - also his burial which was not at Selby.

In 1841 (when ages rounded down) George shown bc.1791 - however, his age at death suggest bc.1782 - so he was supposedly born sometime between 1782 and 1791.

Although there were Hood's in Selby and George himself married/lived/died in Selby it does not mean that he himself was born there.    Indeed, as you know, there is no baptism for him at Selby and he wasn't buried there either - interestingly, neither was his wife Sarah from what I can see online.

I note that when he and wife Sarah married it was by 'Licence' - have you ever obtained a copy of this in case it shows any other details regarding parish of origin?   Although living in Selby at the time it doesn't necessarily follow that he was born there (although there were Hood's living there).

That fact that he wasn't buried at Selby would suggest to me that he was buried in his parish of origin and that wherever that was it's a place whose burial records are not available online - alas, there are many that aren't.    None of this helps us to find him, of course - but I bet he was born and buried in a parish that doesn't have records available online.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annette

Thank you very much for your replies. I agree, that George Hood's burial will likely be in his Birth Parish or nearby.

We've had several days, in Yorkshire, three times now, looking at Wills, Parish Registers of surrounding and other Parishes, plus other documents.

I have a copy of his Will from the Register and had his original Probate bundle scanned.

Their Marriage Licence did not survive, but I have his Marriage & Bond and Allegation, originally made by the Selby Peculiar Court.

Since posting this yesterday morning, I have received a Will, which may give a useful, previously unknown sideways relative called Jake Hood. I'm off to the West Yorkshire part of Rootschat, to see what Rootschatters make of it.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758603.0

Thank you.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
Shippen (not Slipper) Neighbour to John Hood in Selby Land Tax - 1780s

This House at Selby was divided into two Tenements and one occupied by John Hood. The ownership was transferred in 1790 from John Turner, Tallow Chander (& Grocer) to John Spencer, Grocer (later a Gent).

One of the parties in the 1790 Deed (Registered 1792), was Joseph Tate of Wistow, Yeoman.

1776 Wistow
Aug:t 20th Joseph Tate married Mary Shippen

In view of the 1790 House transfer (Registered 1792) indicating Joseph Tate of Wistow, Yeoman was a party to the transfer and the 1776 Marriage of Joseph Tate of Wistow to Mary Shippen, it strongly suggests John Hood's Selby neighbour was Shippen.

-----------

Annette, I did find the burials eventually

Hood of Selby Burials

Regarding the September 1845 burial of George Hood of Selby, this was finally found to be in the Quaker (Friends) Burial Ground at Selby, as "Not in Membership".

The Selby Quakers also buried Sarah Hood, his Widow and four of their adult unmarried children all as "Not in Membership".

The York Quaker Meeting Minutes of 1836 covering Selby at the Brotherton Library, Parkinson Building, Leeds (Special Coll.) confirm George Hood had applied to be a Member of the Quakers, but despite being a conscientious man, was refused Membership of the Quakers.

Two other Sons William and James Hood later became Quakers.

However, William Hood was not a Quaker at his Marriage to Jane Casson on 23rd December 1851 at Scarborough Register Office, because the York Quaker Minutes, indicate they began disciplinary proceedings against Jane Hood (nee Casson) for marrying a Non Quaker. But suddenly after an appeal by Jane and Quaker deliberations, they drop proceedings against Jane Hood (also later known as Jane Casson Hood).

Unfortunately, part of the Quaker burial ground in the Selby Parish of St James, appears to be under a Car Park and when YAS went to record the M.I., they put 'no stones'.

Those memorials that are there now at Selby appear to have been moved from Summerfield, Drax, Quaker burial ground, which has since been ploughed over and now part of a farmer's field.

Mark

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Glad you finally found the burial.

Annette
London -  Monk