Author Topic: Millin to Miller  (Read 1216 times)

Offline knutmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Millin to Miller
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all my 5 times gt grandfather is listed in 1851 census in Croft as Richard Miller aged 82 born in Skegness.
The only baptism in Skegness around the calculated birth year is for a Richard Millins son of Richard and Mary
In subsequent years more Millin(s) are baptsed to same parents, suddenly the name then changes to Miller.

I am 99% certain that I am dealing with the same family but would like some opinions as to whether Millin may become Miller for some unknown reason.

thanks
steve
Miller Leaver Banks Littlewood Hinks Cook Hammonds Henry Fowler Benson Barton Rainforth Stennett Wilks

Offline Minniemouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millin to Miller
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
My Millers were all in the Middle Rasen area.  During the 18th century their name changed from Milner.   I dont think spelling was too important in those days.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 06 09:06 BST (UK) »
Richard was MILLER in 1841 too

631-17/22
Croft
Richard MILLER 71 Carpenter
Mary 52
Sarah? 14
William 12
John 10
All born Lincs

If there was a name change, it would seem to have been before 1801, as a Richard MILLER was bap in Croft in 1801.

A William MILLINS 65 was living in Skeg in 1841, evidence that the name certainly existed.  However, he was possibly buried in 1858 aged 88 as MILLER.  I'm not sure what his name was in 1851, but he is to be found aged 82 in a Parish House.  In 1841 he was in a "Poor house", so it seems like the same chap.

Richard MILLAR was buried 20 Dec 1853 age 84.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline knutmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff thanks for the reply

The Richard Miller buried in 1853 is the one I am concerned about he was born in Skegness in 1769 according to 1851 census but the only baptism I have for that date is for a Richard Millin.

There are quite a few baptisms in Skegness around this time for Millin but after 1780 the same parents seem to be known as Miller

In 1782 there is a burial for Richard Miller but no age given

Personally I think the Millins/ Millers are the same family and for some reason maybe a misinterpretation of an accent they become Millers

Thank You
Steve
Miller Leaver Banks Littlewood Hinks Cook Hammonds Henry Fowler Benson Barton Rainforth Stennett Wilks

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Odd isn't it?

William MILLINS was also a son of Richard and Mary (bap 1773) but his name stayed as MILLINS until 1841.

Offline knutmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 06 20:06 BST (UK) »
I know but I am certain it is the same family I will check but I think there is a William Miller in 1851 census who fits the bill as the William Millins you mention
I'll let you know tomorrow

and thank you for your time

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
I looked at the image ... but I couldn't decide MILLAR  MILLNS ...  the people who do the indexing have to make their guess too - just because they think it may be MILLER it doesn't make it right.

My Lincs indexers have it as MILLAR.

It seems that his sister who was with him in 1851 married as MILLER in 1795 to a WALLER and is censused as WHALER.  She appears to have been baptised as a MILLER 1775 - dau of Richard and Mary.  Your MILLINS/MILLER transformation is looking good :D

Offline knutmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 06 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff Personally I think it is Millar the age is slightly out but the sister Mary her age is almost spot on

Now then the Millins/ Millers did not appear in Skegness until 1770.
In 1771 we have a Robert Millins son of Richard, Shepherd
In 1777 we have Ann daughter of Richard Miller, Shepherd
In the 1781 BT'S there is a burial for Richard Miller the image is not a good one but I think the word Shepherd can just be seen.
One week after this burial of Richard is a burial for Leonard Coal Miller.
In 1769 at Haugh is a marriage of Richard Millin and Mary Leach a witness at this marriage is a Cole Millin.   

All of this adds up in my mind to the fact that Millin somehow became Miller between 1775 and 1781

thank you for your input into this and for making me even more certain my research is going down the right course

cheers
steve