Author Topic: GRO indexes on gro.gov.uk !  (Read 59722 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: GRO indexes on gro.gov.uk !
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
... it also put paid to my suspicions that an ancestor of my husband's was not a granddaughter but a daughter  !
Does it really do that?  The original record only shows what a clerk was told to write ...
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking of buying the birth cert of Ellen Stock in 1854 in Rochford but am happy to wait for the £6 PDF certs to be released.

I have been able to get the maiden name of a wife of an ancestor sibling through the mmn at her kids births 1848-1866 but still no record of a marriage. At least I have his wife's mmn.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I guess it is to do with the trial of uncertificated pdf copies for £6 which starts tomorrow.

Oh I wish we had a like button. I didn't realise the pdfs were going to materialise that soon :)

Santa's Christmas list is going to be overshadowed lol!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a list ready 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 19:34 GMT (UK) »
... it also put paid to my suspicions that an ancestor of my husband's was not a granddaughter but a daughter  !
Does it really do that?  The original record only shows what a clerk was told to write ...

No it doesn't  show that ,   what  I meant was that the mothers  maiden name  was   the same as the  other  childrens  from the family ,   originally  I thought   that  the  child  was  from an  older  daughter        but turns out    Mama was almost  47  years  old when  she  gave birth   in  1867     ( her  first   born was  in 1839 )

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have two on my wanted list - they are siblings of my ancestors, and may help shed a little light on their parents.

One of them is a bit of a mystery - Fanny Elizabeth Frazer, born 1837 Evesham, baptised several years later along with her elder siblings. Parents are William and Mary - William was probably dead by 1841 and Mary's maiden name was probably Nind. Yet on the GRO website the mother's maiden name is blank. I'm hoping this is an error, and her birth certificate will confirm Mary's maiden name, and tell me whether William was still alive at this point.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Does any body know if you get the pdf file the same day as purchased or do you have to wait a week or so like you normally would?
Also when does it go live, would it be after midnight tonight or later in the morning for such as 9am or later

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Does any body know if you get the pdf file the same day as purchased or do you have to wait a week or so like you normally would?
Also when does it go live, would it be after midnight tonight or later in the morning for such as 9am or later

I am hoping it is instantaneously like census images.

I am telling everyone it will be 9 o'clock but between you and me I think it will be midnight as the census was.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I am telling everyone it will be 9 o'clock but between you and me I think it will be midnight as the census was.

That's good as I'll be in work by 8 so can have a quick look before I go :) And hope they haven't all gone by lunchtime  ;D
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....