Author Topic: GRO indexes on gro.gov.uk !  (Read 59746 times)

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO indexes on gro.gov.uk !
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
it appears to now have a option to use DX (document exchange), so is this the new option ? doesn't appear to mention new lower price? and you have to register with DX to use it?
No.

From their FAQs:

"Q4. What is the DX delivery option?
DX stands for Document Exchange and is a UK Courier Service that Businesses/solicitors/financial institutions registered with DX use to speed up the time taken to have documents delivered.
Do not select this delivery option unless you are registered with the DX Courier Service."

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I found a cert I would of wanted to order and went to check out process and this came up as different options

Service Options

Please choose the service you require:

Standard :
 Despatched on the 4th working day from receipt of order. Cost: £9.25 per certificate.

Priority :
 Despatched next working day from receipt of order. Cost: £23.40 per certificate.

Standard Certificate by Post  Priority Certificate by Post
 Standard Certificate by DX
(not sure what this is?)   Priority Certificate by DX
(not sure what this is?) 
   Priority Certificate by Special Delivery 1pm
 + £6.45 per batch of up to 5
Certificates ordered (UK Addresses Only)
   Priority Certificate by DHL + £15.99 per
batch of up to 5 Certificates ordered
(Addresses outside the UK Only

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: AntonyMMM on Yesterday at 22:43

The word Union is showing that the Registration District's were originally based on the Poor Law system areas and the names reflected that for a while and is how the district was named on the register .... nothing to do with being born in the workhouse.

That makes sense, but is this a new way of showing the record.  Can anyone recall this being the case for registrations prior to 1846 on the old GRO search?

It showed on the paper certs dropped for convenience in the indexes as would otherwise have had Warwick & Warwick Union and they are basically one & the same

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:05 GMT (UK) »
I didn't read all 30 pages to see if there was a link to this so sorry if it has already been posted.
http://lostcousins.com/newsletters2/specialnov16news.htm
LostCousins has been testing the new service.

Read about it here
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/11/gro-england-wales-launches-enhanced.html

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: AntonyMMM on Yesterday at 22:43

The word Union is showing that the Registration District's were originally based on the Poor Law system areas and the names reflected that for a while and is how the district was named on the register .... nothing to do with being born in the workhouse.

That makes sense, but is this a new way of showing the record.  Can anyone recall this being the case for registrations prior to 1846 on the old GRO search?

It showed on the paper certs

Oddly, the only paper certificate I have which refers to a Union is the case of Richard NEAL cited above, who was actually a resident of the Belper Workhouse. Many others for the period we are talking about (mainly Oxfordshire and Yorkshire) only show the Registration District.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I've had a more thorough trawl of my ancestors in Bosmere & Claydon.  It seems that they added Union until about 1850, then stopped.

I've redone a search on the new GRO engine for some of my ancestors for whom I already hold certificates pre-1850. The search reports don't come up with a reference to a Union, so it must be restricted to certain areas.  Be handy to know which ones.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I've a paper for Alnwick Union Northumberland 1841 too, though can't see Union on any English post 1860's & seems I've not ordered any certs during 1850's. Perhaps just got used to seeing it as was doing a lot of Northern Irish research on paternal mothers side last 2 months since the Irish GRO kindly put most of their GRO books digitally online for Free early Sept. Looking at the ones I downloaded the term Union was still in use to at least 1930's in the Irish GRO books eventually replaced by Register's District in a 1950's copy, guess they were a bit slow to change.

Tried a search but nothing immediate just a summary http://www.1837.com/civil-registration/

playing with http://maps.familysearch.org/#layer England & Wales Jurisdictions 1851 map with Poor Law and Reg District ticked there were some differences

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 09:01 GMT (UK) »
It's up!

Certificate(s) despatched on the 4th working day and PDF(s) on the 5th working day from receipt of order. Cost: £9.25 per certificate, £6.00 per PDF.

Just bought one and dispatch date shows the 16th. Hoped it would be instant like ScotlandsPeople but sure beats waiting the 3 to 4 weeks it takes to arrive to Aus.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Wasn't just now, but great thanks.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....