Author Topic: Michael Gilligan of Stonehall  (Read 1212 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Gilligan of Stonehall
« on: Friday 04 November 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
In 1900 Michael Gilligan passed on with a birth of circa 1827. The informant was Mary his daughter in law of Stonehall. From the 1901 and 1911 census Marys husband was another Michael with age 40 in 1901 and 55 and born in Westmeath in 1911. So I am looking for a baptism for a Michael Gilligan, with a father Michael Gilligan from aprox. 1856 thru to 1861, possibly in Westmeath please

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Gilligan of Stonehall
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 16 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Civil parish of Stonehall also appears to be in Taghmon Parish
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_in_rc.php?churchid=0962&county=&church_name=Taghmon
But they have no register on the NLI site from 1850 to 1864
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0962

That middle link doesn't seem to be working hallmark.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Gilligan of Stonehall
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 16 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks hallmark and Sinann. My Michael Gilligan was baptised in 1829 in Kinnegad and the Michael Gilligan who passed in 1900 is the only one who comes close in correct age from civil records. My Greatgran was baptised at St Marys Kinnegad in 1854. We were fortunate that my Fathers Uncle lived into his 90's and was able to relate stories of his Mothers Father being the Head Gardener at Lowtown House when the Ray Family were living there. If he had died before 1864  (ie when she was 10 or less) then it would have more than likely have been mentioned. Problem is we have no knowledge of there being a youngest brother Michael. The baptisms stopped in 1859. The only missing one was Thomas in 1848 which I now believe to have occured in New York. Four came out to NZ, two went to Manchester, leaving only Mary from 1859 to track down.   
OK. Sitting there rereading my post checking for typos when it hit me. So before anyone else suggests the obvious. "two went to Manchester" Yes there is a Michael Gilligan who died at Prescot in 1891 aged 63 circa birth 1828. Off to do a census look up request  :P

Dang Different Michael. Almost needless to say he was from Ireland, but had a wife and a 27 year old son born in Prescot. So still looking for a Michael born over a widely fluctuating time span, possibly in Westmeath  ::)