Author Topic: German translation needed  (Read 1764 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
German translation needed
« on: Saturday 05 November 16 02:03 GMT (UK) »
This is the grave marker of my ggg-grandfather in Dusseldorf.  Please disregard the sloppy photography of my brother-in-law and the freckled forehead of my youngest sister.

Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German translation needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Starter

Here rests in God the former most worthy and most learned Johann Herman Altgeld of the upper county of Wied-Runkel and Dierdorf, inspector and onetime [common] true, diligent pastor.  He was born 9th September in the year 1644, decided in the Lord  [died] 22nd November of the year 1705 at 5 in the afternoon at the age of 61 years 2 months and 11 days.

{not sure of the last line in bigger letters, the last bit are roman numerals again]

I think the last lie is [something] Deut (for deuteronomy) 34 [verses something] [this text deals with the death of Moses and would be appropriate tio a grave]

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, MaxD.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi TC....if you put it on the Photo Restoration board they can take out your sister and clarify the photo for you....start a request their and put a link to the photo from here.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Interesting symbol at the top!

Skoosh.

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
The symbol at the top is the house mark of the family, which is used as coat of arms.

Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 16 02:47 GMT (UK) »
The symbol at the top is the house mark of the family, which is used as coat of arms.

Rudolf

That is good to know.  Thank you, Rudolf.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Starter

Here rests in God the former most worthy and most learned Johann Herman Altgeld of the upper county of Wied-Runkel and Dierdorf, inspector and onetime [common] true, diligent pastor.  He was born 9th September in the year 1644, decided in the Lord  [died] 22nd November of the year 1705 at 5 in the afternoon at the age of 61 years 2 months and 11 days.

{not sure of the last line in bigger letters, the last bit are roman numerals again]

I think the last lie is [something] Deut (for deuteronomy) 34 [verses something] [this text deals with the death of Moses and would be appropriate tio a grave]

maxD

Johann Hermann Altgelt, born 11 September 1644 in Altenkirchen where his father Philipp was first pastor, studied in Giessen.  He was transferred to the Rosbach parish in 1664  from which he was appointed the first preacher and inspector in Dierdorf.  Here he died on 2 November 1705.  He had two marriages.  The first with Timothea Cramer who bore him eight children.  Then, as pastor in Rossbach he married, on 1 December 1683, Eleonore Sophie, the daughter of the deceased privy secretery Balthasar Pistorius of Altenkirchen.  This marriage was also blessed with eight children.

Note: The title of "Inspector" in the Reform (Lutheran) church indicates that the person was authorized to examine the qualifications of an applicant and perform ordination of clergy.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 November 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't know why I got the birth date wrong, the XI is totally clear.  The date of his death however is I think quite clear also on the stone as XXII - 22 which would make sense with the "age of 61 years 2 months and 11 days (11 Sep to 22 Nov)".

I'm still struggling with "gemein".  Its normal meaning is rather negative so I am guessing it could have had a different sense back in the 1700s and perhaps meant "common" in the sense of "of the common people" or "down to earth".

Thank you for the explanation of inspector.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia