Author Topic: 1st Somerset regt of Militia - James Ellis  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1st Somerset regt of Militia - James Ellis
« on: Saturday 05 November 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help with a conflict between two references I have for a marriage between James Ellis and Ann Webb in 1804. At the time of the marriage James was a Lieutenant in the 1st Somerset Regt of Militia.
One reference is from a book of the time which shows they were married in Clifton church (Bristol) and the other is from Pallot's Marriage index which shows they were married in Exeter Cathedral.
An interesting point is Lieutenant James Eliis was later killed in the Peninsular War on 1.7.1812 at Albuera in Spain with the 3rd Dragoon Guards. So at some time he transferred from the 1st Somerset to the Dragoons.
Does any one have any more information about where the marriage took place and any information about James's military service?
Thanks, Phil
Looking for:  Bird, Webb, Prosser, Dudley, Page
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Somerset regt of Militia - James Ellis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 16 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
The records at Exter Cathedral say they were married there 15.3.1804
James Ellis esquire Leuit in the ist Reg of Somerset militia of the Close and Ann Webb of Hotwells near Bristol spinster were married by licence
Wit T and N Newman and somone who writes with a squiggle.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 16 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thanks for that. Can you expain why it shows Clifton church in the other reference?

Phil
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
.... records at Exter Cathedral say they were married there 15.3.1804
James Ellis esquire Leuit in the ist Reg of Somerset militia of the Close and Ann Webb of Hotwells near Bristol spinster were married by licence
Wit T and N Newman and somone who writes with a squiggle.

Any chance of uploading the image of this record please?

Phil
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether they were the same man?  The London Gazette of 16-19 Sep 1809 records the transfer from the 7th Regiment of Dragoon Guards to the 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards of Cornet James Ellis so at least in 1809 there was a 3rd Dragoons James Ellis who may well have been the one who died in 1812?

I can't find a transfer to the 3rd DG from the Somerset Militia in the 1804-1912 time frame.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 16 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi maxD,

I think this is the same man. I have seen this information before. So he must have first transferred to the 7th Dragoons from the 1st Somerset.

Phil
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Phil

Without the records of each of course difficult to prove/disprove either way but the 1809 transfer was of Cornet James Ellis and the marriage in 1804 was of Lieut James Ellis so if it is the same chap then not only did he transfer twice but went down a rank also.  It also looks as if James Ellis of the 7th transferred in from the 18th Foot in 1805 to become Cornet.

Have you been able to check the rolls of the Somerset Militia at the Somerset Heritage Centre

http://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/search/all:records/0_50/all/score_desc/somerset%20militia

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a James Ellis in 1804 transferring from 15th Foot to 18th Foot but not sure what's the meaning of (Lieutenant with temporary Rank, from half pay of the 15th Foot). Also what does "vice Brereton, promoted" mean?
Phil
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I spy James and Ann, parents of William Webb Ellis, the reputed father of the game of Rugby Football.  Some years ago I found William's baptism at the church of the Sacred Trinity, Salford, Lancs, and in the 1851 census he gave his birthplace as Manchester.  I do not have all my original notes but have James down as an officer of the 3rd Dragoon Guards, and he had died before William and a younger brother Thomas entered Rugby School together in 1816.  Thomas was two years older than William.
I also have a note that a third son, James Simpson Ellis was baptised at St Peter's, Liverpool in 1810, but have no record of his attendance at Rugby.
[All that digging was long before the days of the Web - excuse pun.]

ADDED
I have just checked on Ancestry but the register image is not online for 1810; the BT image shows James Simpson was son of James, 'Lieutenant in the Dragoon Guards' and Ann Webb, his wife. No address given.

I hope some of this helps.

Ainslie

P.S. I have just spotted an error in my post, Thomas Ellis was OLDER than William.