Author Topic: Look Up request - AYLING, James  (Read 973 times)

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up request - AYLING, James
« on: Sunday 06 November 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
According to the various census he was born about 1810-12 in Chertsey. Married by Banns in 1831 to Hannah Ansell. Looking for a birth/baptism record that lists parents. Thanks for any help!

Chris Ayling

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up request - AYLING, James
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
There are several trees on line with James Ayling in them, however the facts will need checking out very well. One shows a father and mother as James Ayling 1780 born Eastbourne, Sussex, and a Mary Freeborn 22/9/1782 born East Dean Sussex-she died in 1825. On the 1841 census there is a James Ayling aged 60 years, bargeman, who is living with an Elizabeth Smith in Chertsey.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Most Ayling trees are wrong. For example, the James who married Mary Freeborn was actually born in Heyshott in 1774. Mary died in childbirth. James moved most of the family to Brighton after that but was returned to East Dean for his burial in 1860. He is my 5th great grandfather. I have that line going back to John Aylyng (D. 1511) of Bramshott, Hampshire. Thanks for the reference to the census. I do know there was a line of Ayling bargemen in Houghton, Sussex, so perhaps there is a link there...

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
If you look on Knightroots deaths for Bramshott you will find mention of an Ayling who may be an ancestor of yours.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Knightroots? Do you have a link? I had compiled the Bramshott records for Aylings here: https://www.ancestry.ca/boards/surnames.ayling/207/mb.ashx. I believe this group descends from John's son Phillip. His other sons were John (D. 1546) of Terwick, Sussex and Richard (D. 1545) of Woolbeding, Sussex who ended up as a burgess in Midhurst, Sussex. John Sr. may have been the reeve of Droxford Manor, Hants in the late 1400's. The family link is partially confirmed via the Book of Common Pleas when John has died and Phillip and his mother are suing the two brothers for coming over and stealing some of his money, household good, livestock, etc. See https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ayling/281/mb.ashx. I understand this is probably way to much info for you. Just posting in event someone comes along in future and sees this post :)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Knightroots.co.uk
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile