Author Topic: Wolves Newton parish records  (Read 1902 times)

Offline RogerP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wolves Newton parish records
« on: Tuesday 08 November 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Could SKS please look up original parish records. I am looking for the birth of Margaret Hoskins about 1797 in Wolves Newton. She is Margaret Painter in Llangattock in the 1861 and 1871 census born about 1797.  In Freereg I have a birth in Oct 1794.  Is this correct please or is there a later Margaret?  Then is her mother Mary or Margaret? The wedding of John Hoskins and M Harris is on 20 May 1777.  There are 8 children to John and M Hoskins 1777-94. I would like to know if 1794 or 1797 is the correct birth and if her mother was Mary or Margaret. Thanks
Parfitt, Payne, Markham, Panther, Watts, Newby, Horswell, Branscomb

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Wolves Newton parish records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Baptism record says
Wolvesnewton - October 5th 1794 - Margaret daughter of John and Mary Hoskins
I cannot see another one in 1797
However, the records also show the following baptisms to  "John and Margaret Hoskins"
Elizabeth 1777
John 1780
William 1782
James 1787
George 1788

hope this helps
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RogerP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Do you access to the original parish record please. I see it is on Findmypast. Has Marg been transcribed Mary?  Did John marry again?

Also found
John 1790 and 1780

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger, yes it is the original copy on FindMyPast.
I've just looked again and it says Mary not Marg - there are some other Marys on the page in the same handwriting to compare to. :)

John the son of John Hoskins by Margaret his wife was baptised Jan 2nd 1780 in Wolvesnewton
The John in 1790 is the son of Charles Hoskins by Elizabeth his wife, in Wolvesnewton

Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Exact transcriptions that may help you further
1777 Sept 21 Elizabeth the dau. of John Hoskins by Margaret his wife was baptized.
1780 Janry 2d John the son of John Hoskins by Margaret his wife was baptized.
1782 March 3d William the son of John Hoskins by Margaret his wife was baptized.
1784 March 28th William Hoskins (a child) was buried (a pauper)
1787 Janry 21st James the son of John Hoskins by Margaret his wife was baptized (a pauper)
1787 Septmbr 9th James Hoskins (a child) was buried (a pauper)
1788 Octo 5th George the son of John Hoskins by Margaret his wife was baptized (a pauper)
**1790 Jan 14th George the son of John Hoskins and Margaret his wife was buried
** Does this mean both George and Margaret were buried or that George the son of John and Margaret was buried??

1790 Jan 17th John the son of Charles Hoskins by Elizabeth his wife was christened
1791(baptisms) Feb 27 Ann Dr. of John and Mary Hoskins
1794 (baptisms) Octobr 5th Margaret Dr. of John and Mary Hoskins
1792 June 5th Mary Williams reputed Dr. of Chas Hoskins was buried

Mar
Surname Interests

Offline RogerP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Mar. A poor family indeed. I think John died in the workhouse near Chepstow in 1837 age 85.  So the baptism of a John Hoskin in Newchurch in 1754 looks right and gives me another generation. But whether Margaret's mother was Mary or Marg is a mystery. The record of Ann's baptism in 1791 may have the mother written as Marg t  with the t above the g.  And why would Mary name her daughter Margaret in 1794? Could the writer have been lazy and written Mary instead have Margt. As far as I can see there is no record of a Mary marrying John Hoskins.  I can find no record of the death of Mary or Marg or a birth of Margt.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger
the photo images of the pages for Ann's baptism in 1791 (and Margaret in 1794) are clearly written as Mary.
Two possibilities....
Either
both the baptisms (Ann 1791 and Margaret 1794) have had the mothers name incorrectly recorded as Mary instead of Margaret
Or
Margaret did die in 1790 (at the same time as the son George) and John remarried to a Mary
Surname Interests

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I can see the burial of John Hoskins, pauper, abode -workhouse, is on March 25th 1837 aged 85 in Chepstow
Surname Interests

Offline RogerP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I am looking at Freereg for Wolves Newton. I see Harris baptisms from 1747 to 1760 with names Wm, Geo, Ann, Mary. These are the childrens names from the Hoskins/Harris marriage. I wonder if she was Mary all along and not Margaret, but is it unusual to change ones name. I will keep looking for a Margt.