Author Topic: James Sheldon - born 1827, Rushall  (Read 492 times)

Offline cgsheldon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Sheldon - born 1827, Rushall
« on: Thursday 10 November 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have had no luck tracking down a marriage record for James Sheldon, born c.1827, Rushall. His father was John Sheldon, a bit maker.

James appears in the 1861 Census, a bachelor, living with his brother John jnr.'s family in Walsall. James' occupation is given as Policeman; with that information I requested James' record from the Staffordshire Police Force register.

In that record, from the 1860s, it gave his age, 33, place of birth, Rushall, and that he had served in the Coldstream Guards and was married with one child. James resigned from the force in 1865. I think I've identified him in the Guards with regimental no. 3678, and appears in FindMyPast.co.uk's 1851 Worldwide Army Index and the Crimean War Rolls.

But I have had no luck in tracking down a marriage record, which, I would think, happened between his 1861 bachelorhood and 1865 police resignation. The Army Marriages Index also do not appear to show him, and none of the Staffordshire baptisms on FindMyPast show a father named James that seems to fit.

Any suggestions to where else I might look? James appears to be absent from the 1871 Census; although I have not identified a death record, I do think he appears as a witness to the 1874 marriage of his nephew.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Sheldon - born 1827, Rushall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello
have you looked at the marriages for James Sheldon in Staffordshire 1861 -1865 ?
There are two.Given there was also a James Sheldon born in Leek forget that one and we have
James Sheldon Mar 1863 Dudley 6c 135 to it looks like  Mary Jones.

At the moment pdf certificates from the GRO are £6 for a limited period or you could try and find a transcription from the church.

Ciderdrinker

Offline cgsheldon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Sheldon - born 1827, Rushall
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ciderdrinker

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have looked at both those records on FindMyPast's Staffordshire marriage collection, but unfortunately in both cases the father's name is wrong.