Author Topic: Interest in Pardoe/Brooks/Wooldridge in Lye  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Pardoe/Brooks/Wooldridge in Lye
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! It doesn't look so bad eh. I'm sure it didn't look like that then. I'm wondering why in 1891 Betsy doesn't have her husband Edwin or her son George living with her and her mother. George is living with neighbours and Edwin is missing. In 1881 Betsy and Edwin are living with Elizabeth too.

I found on the 1881 Census that one of my great grandfather's, Charles Pearson married to Sarah Ann (father of Emily Lizzie Louise, my 2nd great grandmother, who married Reuben Taylor, my 2nd great grandad) was a victualler living at 57 Enville St (Queens Head). I'm assuming that's another pub.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 November 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It does look like there were at lot of publicans in the family.I looked at Samuel Brooks parents John and Elizabeth and except on Samuel's christening which has nooccupation because it's too early he's either a innkeeper or a victualler.
Samuel 12.1.1812,Maria 20.2.1814-12.5.1815,Elizabeth 28.4.1816,William 15.3.1818,Jane 4.6.1820,James 31.7.1824 and Mary 6.7.1828.
It must have been quite tough growing up in a pub on the Waste but at least it means John  Brooks is more likely to have had enough money to leave a Will when he died.

It looks like he and Elizabeth married at St Thomas Dudley 10.9.1811.She was called Betty Brooks.Bach and Spinster and witnesses Josh Brooks and Mark Bond.
As Samuel was christened in January it looks as though he was well on the way which may explain why they didn't marry in a local church.

Possible baptism for John Brooks 30.1.1791 to William and Mary with a brother Joseph 17.5.1789
Marriage William Brooks and Mary Wooldridge 24.8.1783 at O/S
 and for Betty Brooks.
Betty 21.1.1787 d of Henry and Mary Brooks or
Betty Grinal Brooks d of Samuel and Sussanna 15.10.1786.

The 1851 census has this at the Common Lye
John Brooks 60 widower  victualler  Lye
Mary daughter 22 housework Lye

No name for the pub but it's next to Cross Walk where the Holy Bush inn was situated so perhaps Samuel inherited the pub from his father.
Indeed John who died 11th Nov 1859 does leave a Will for under £450 proven 9.3.1860.
John Brooks of Lye Waste in the parish of Old Swinford  Victualler .Executors brother Joseph Brooks farmer (looks like previously a nail manufacturer in Green Lane 1851) and Richard Pardoe butcher both of Lye Waste.(probably Elizabeth's brother bapt 21.4.1822)
If you sent for the full thing it should be interesting reading.

ps the Worcester Chronicle  14th Nov 1849 had a death notice for George Pardoe butcher of Lye who passed away from Cholera age 62 on the 11th.
And Hitchmough's long pull has a photo of the Queens Head and lots of info on the Pearsons who ran it.Sorry it's a bit hit and miss on the others

Ciderdrinker

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 November 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
That was a lot of excellent information. Thank you! It's going to take me a bit to sort it all out.

John Brooks married Elizabeth who was also a Brooks...I suppose that was common in Lye.

I found this christening record. I cannot open it since I'm not subscribed right now but it seems to read as follows:

John Brooks
Male
Christened  23 Feb 1845
Lye, Worcestershire
Father: Samuel Brooks
Mother: Elizabeth

Looks like Betsy may have had a brother? I've never seen this record before. If he is her brother, I'd assume he died before 1892 or you'd think Elizabeth would have left all that money to him and not Betsy or to both.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 November 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hiya
There were two Samuel and Elizabeth Brooks in the Lye area.
If you look at the 1841 census there are two couples.#
Yours living next to father John  and the other Samuel Brooks age 25 coal miner ,Elizabeth 30,David 5 and Sarah 11 .
They are both at Lye Waste bank.
So it could be the other couple.In theory you could check his mother's maiden name on the new GRO search index but it keeps going down.
It'll either be Pardoe or Farmer.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 November 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just managed to get it to go and yes his mother is Pardoe so yes he's yours.
I've checked 1837-1861 and there's only those two-John and Betsey.
I can't see a death but I can't see him on the census either.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 November 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Well that certainly makes things a little more interesting. Thank you.

I wonder if there's a marriage record for him if he lived long enough to marry. If the amity rumour that George was adopted is true, maybe John is the biological father. Could be why on his school admission he's George Harry B Dunn. Although that theory really doesn't hold since I can't find a birth record for a George Harry Brooks either.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Mbanyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi - my fiancée and I have just purchased 12 Belmont Road, Wollescote and we are interested in the history of the house and it's occupants.

If it's any use for your research I can shed light on some infirmation:

12 Belmont Road

The house was built in 1900.

The deeds to the house confirm the original owner was Betsy Dunn (presumably with George Harry Dunn who features in the census)

The building is the one next door to Brookland Villa  (on the streetview link earlier in this thread) it's 12 Floral Villas - the end terrace one with a brown front door, lots of windows on the side and a navy blue wooden gate set back from the road.

You can still see the Rightmove listing for now here

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/44356629

In 1918 Betsy Dunn sold the house to William Henry Skelding.

I've seen some mention of the family having connections to nailmakers.

There is a brick built shed in the back garden which is as old as the house, it used to be a nailmakers yard, with old bricked in fireplaces.

There's actually a clause in the deeds to our house, that we may not sell nails manufactured on the property from here, or open up any nail shop or additional nail yards on the property.

Also you can see on the Google aerial photos that the adjoining house, number 13 has a large extension at the back - that's actually part of the original house, and 12 has it knocked back to increase garden size in the 1970s.

It's a big house now, let alone with that massive extension on (4 bedrooms) - seems like it'd have been quite a valuable house in the 1900s.

The thread mentions Betsy coming into some money - well this seems a big house for 2 people, (and was a new build in 1900) could explain how some of it got spent.

There also used to be a mine shaft over the road, for the fireclay mine I believe.

Hope that's useful, we've got no family connection, just thought it was interesting to find out who first lived in our house and the information might be useful to you.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 23:25 GMT (UK) »
That's amazing! Thank you all of that information. This is so lucky. I really appreciate the information. I live in Canada so it's nice to hear about these places.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a death certificate for a Betsy Dunn. She died in February of 1928. I'm not sure if she's my Betsy Dunn but her address at the time of her death was 16 King Street, Wollescote. She died from shock after being burned from her clothes catching fire from her kitchen grate.

I wonder if there's a way to find out where she lived after she sold the house in 1918.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)