Author Topic: Ayling Surname  (Read 2416 times)

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ayling Surname
« on: Saturday 12 November 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Here are some rules of thumb that I have discovered after looking at many, many AYLING families across the south of England. First, the name was spelled as "Æglyng" in Old English, and it was pronounced as "eye-ling". However, in my experience most present day Ayling descendants pronounce the first part of the name to rhyme with "hay". See http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/164/mb.ashx for a discussion of the origins of the name.

The earliest reference to the Ayling name are from the Sussex Subsidy of 1296 where you find a Regin' Aylyng living in the Rape of Bramber, Hundred of Westgrensted, village of Wykham. This is just north of Brighton. Also there was a a Ricro Aelyng in Heyshott, Rape of Chichester in 1296. Willmo Aylyg in Lodsworth and John Alyng in Chidham and listed in 1327 and 1332

At the start of parish record keeping in the 1540's the name has mostly settled out to "Aylyng" or "Aylynge". It was sometimes recorded at the time or transcribed in error in the early 1600's as "Aylwyn" which is a distinct surname but found in many of the same parishes in West Sussex in particular. However, in the 16th and 17th centuries any researcher of the Aylyng name needs to check both. Here is an example that shows four name variations within the same document (all of whom are "Ayling" a confirmed via other sources):

Title: Quit Claim
Reference: SAS-K/134
Description: By JOHN ALIN als AYLWIN of Stoughton, Sussex, yeoman, to GEORGE WAKEFORD of Selborne, co. Southton, gent., of all right or title under the will of the late Giles Ayling, father of said John Alin, of and in the house, garden, and backside called Bartons in Harting, which was sold by said John Alin to his brother Isemonger Alin als Aylwin for £25 and by him the said Isemonger sold with other parcels of land to said George Wakeford, by deed of feoffment dated 6 June, 1670 (No. SAS-K/121)

Signature, John Aylling and seal

Witnesses:- J. Biggs, John Worlidge
Date: 17 Jun 1671
Held by: West Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/b84ae934...

The above at least presents the possibility that the way "Ayling" was pronounced might have influenced how it was written. After all, just about all common folk in this era were illiterate. In the recording of surnames for tax records or other government documents the surname would have been communicated orally to the scribe who then wrote down what he heard. The person giving his name would not be looking over the shoulder of the scribe to ensure that his name was spelled correctly.

You do find "Ailing" cropping up from time to time within Ayling family groups, and it is often fairly easy to see that the name is a recording error for Ayling. The more common variations of Ayling are Aylen and Aylin. This was likely because the person giving their name was dropping the hard consonant "g" from the end of the name, perhaps conforming to the dialect of the area where "g" was often dropped from the end of words. In Sussex both have settled out to Ayling within the same family groups by the end of the 18th century. In Hampshire, I believe there was only one Ayling family line that maintained "Aylen" right down to the present and overlaps the same parishes where Ayling is used. However, "Ayling" is a far more dominant name in terms of frequency of use. I worked through all the name variations for Hampshire here: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/263/mb.ashx. In Essex there was a family of brick makers starting around the end of the 1700's with a surname "Aylen" but descendants kept that name, as well as Aylin and Ayling. It should be noted that Aylen in this southeast area is a distinct surname which seems to be unrelated to Ayling. In Kent you find a mixture of both but Ayling is again more frequent. So you habe to be very careful about making attribution of Aylen to Ayling.

You do also sometimes find variations like "Aling" or "Alin" or even "Alen" all over the south of England (and sometimes further north).

The key, I think, is the "ayl" at the beginning. Those who recorded the name kept that "y" in there which probably tells us that the name was pronounced as "eye". Otherwise, I think, the name might have morphed in Allen over the centuries.

Chris Ayling
Canada

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Ayling Surname
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you found any in Hertfordshire?
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I haven't worked on the parishes of Hertfordshire except as they relate to one specific group of Aylings, specifically David Ayling 1749-1828 from Alton, Hampshire. I suspect the line goes back through Hampshire, but I do note there are Aylings living in Herfordshire as well. David and his father Jesse were wood turners. Perhaps their trade took them there. I've posted elsewhere in the forums on David's line.

There is a John & Elizabeth Ayling in Sandon, Hertfordshire having a son Thomas in 1750, and daughters Elizabeth in 1753 and Sarah in 1757.

Further support for a separate family line of AYLINGs in Hertfordshire:

Name:    Mathew Ayling
Father:    Matthew Ayling
Baptism:    24 Aug 1633 - Barley, Hertfordshire, England

Name:    Susana Ayling
Birth Date:    14 Jun 1668
Baptism Date:    5 Jul 1668
Aldenham,Hertford,England
Father:    Rich. Ayling
Mother:    Mary

Name:    Mary Ayling
Baptism Date:    1 Dec 1735
Great Amwell,Hertford,England
Father:    John Ayling
Mother:    Sarah

There is also a reference in the 1871 census to a Richard Ayling born about 1800 in Cradeley, Hertfordshire.

So not a lot of Aylings pre-18th century period, and no sustained family groups across generations (at least as far as the ancestry.com search engines can find), which may imply that they moved up there from Hampshire where there are Aylings all across the Hampshire/Sussex border going back the the start of parish record keeping. One would have to obtain parish record transcriptions, if available, and undertake a laborious (and expensive!) job of sorting through --as I have done for al of Hampshire and many parts of Sussex. See http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/mb.ashx

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.
I have been searching for a very long time for the details of Elizabeth Ealing/Eling who married John Weedon in Watford on 30th November 1763.
The Elizabeth born in 1753 who you mention is sadly too young.
Oh well, worth a try :)
Cheers

Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 16 18:21 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Ellin baptised in Bushey on 6th November, 1743 to Thomas and Mary.

Hertfordshire baptisms on FindMyPast.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sue :)  That's a possibility worth investigating.  There are so many possible spelling variations of the name.
I will take a look and if necessary open a new thread, I don't want to hijack Chris's thread if I am diverting from his Aylings.

Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Here's another early reference to the Aylyng surname, in Common Pleas. These places are near Petworth, Sussex.

Michaelmas term, 1458, second entry

Sussex. Richard Ask, esquire, by William Fagger his attorney, versus Thomas Aylyng, of Wodecote, Lodesworth, miller; Stephen Aylyng, of Wallavyngton/Wallington, husbandman; and John Aylyng, of Selham, husbandman, for trespass: breach of close at Eseborn and threatening Richard’s tenants.

(It says first Richard Ask, then Robert, then again Richard.)

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no791/bCP40no791dorses/IMG_2373.htm
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Here is the same case again, Michaelmas term 1458, the same as before but the erroneous Robert has been corrected to Richard.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no791/bCP40no791dorses/IMG_2538.htm
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs