Author Topic: Elizabeth Hughes (1803-1881)  (Read 1447 times)

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Hughes (1803-1881)
« on: Monday 14 November 16 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can please help me with my 4x great-grandmother, Elizabeth Hughes. She married George Lewis in Bagillt, Flintshire in 1829. There's a James Hughes as a witness, I presume a relative? ???

I can't find her baptism in Anglesey. Her name's too common. According to census records she was born around 1803. The place names change, and I'm having no luck: 1851 - Bedwin. 1871 - Llandybbingdoe. 1881 - Holyhead. Argh.

I'm an aussie and some of the Welsh place names have got me at a loss ;D From what I can see the first two don't exist! I can't make heads or tails of what they should be.

I can't find the Lewis family in the 1861 census to try and tip it into one place's favour. They lived in Holywell/Greenfield in Flintshire.

If anyone could provide advice/help, I'd be very grateful! :)

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hughes (1803-1881)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I believe the 1871 census gives her place of birth as Bodedern, Anglesey.  If so, an Elizabeth Hughes was baptised in Bodedern on 20 March 1803. Father John, mother Elizabeth. I have no idea if these are correct.
Mike in Wrexham, North Wales
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 16 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

So that's what it might be? I guess the enumerator had no idea how to spell what she said. Thank you so much for that, I'll have a look into that family and see if they're it. It seems they might have had another Elizabeth in 1804.

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 16 23:49 GMT (UK) »
It looks like that Elizabeth may have married Richard Griffith in nearby Llanynghenedl in 1822 :-\ Even though it says 'the mark of Catherine Hughes' where the couple sign, Richard and Elizabeth have kids in Llechylched. Hmm.

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the marriage and it does not seem right. Although Richard was marrying Elizabeth the names (signatures) at the bottom say Richard Griffiths and (the mark of) Catherine Hughes not Elizabeth?? At least that is how I read it. How did you find the children?
Mike
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean, it's very strange! Never seen it before. I would've said maybe there was some confusion with her sister Catherine - but she was born in 1820!

I used Find My Past's Anglesey baptisms. There's a few, but one in particular is John Griffith's baptism in 1836 - it says he's the son of Richard Griffith and Elizabeth Hughes. So the Catherine thing has to be a mistake :-\