Author Topic: DNA breakthrough?  (Read 719 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
DNA breakthrough?
« on: Tuesday 15 November 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to gush about this here because unfortunately when one is tickled pink by something in genealogy unless you are talking to someone equally as interested their eyes start to glaze over!

My 2xgt grandmother was illegitimate. There was a clue, however, about who her father might have been- her name was Elizabeth Jane Uglow HAMLEY and her mother's brother soon married an UGLOW, so we theorised one of the new bride's brothers might have been to blame. Alas, we found no paperwork to back it up.

Recently my mother took an Ancestry DNA test. It suddenly struck me to go around contacting Uglow descendants to see if they'd taken the test- if they had, and there was a match, it wouldn't prove which brother did it but would be suggestive that one did. If they had and there was no match, we'd know that despite the name we'd be barking up the wrong tree. I've not had any replies yet.

I checked around the trees of my mother's matches for recognisable Uglow names (having had a little look at that ancestry) but didn't find any. I checked back to the Uglow family site, which has an extensive tree, and suddenly in one of the several proposed ancestors of my potential 6th great grandfather came across a name that rung a bell- a couple that appears in the tree of one of my mother's matches! These two people would be my 8th great grandparents!

I'd like to get some feedback from a new more Uglows but finding that link is highly suggestive that not only  was the theory correct but the line might be traced back to the 1600s!

Chuffed to bits

Ayashi

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA breakthrough?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,

Not related, but congratulations. This is what makes genealogy so great.
I wish I had this kind of luck ......

WhiskyMac

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 16 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Well done. A result for your hard work, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Teeza99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
hi
what is your tree name on ancestry, there are so many errors in others trees on the Hamley / Uglow saga, i need someone who is at least trying to solve the mystery