Author Topic: Birth of Mary Bridget Cullen, 1903, Enniscorthy  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Birth of Mary Bridget Cullen, 1903, Enniscorthy
« on: Wednesday 16 November 16 03:18 GMT (UK) »
 On irishgenealogy.ie,  there is a birth record for Mary Bridget Cullen on May 9, 1903.   Beside the record, there is a note saying Cancelled by order of an t-Ard Chlaraitheoir See Entry No 156, R Ní B (?) 8-6-1960. The birth record is crossed out and I have been informed that the person who cancelled the record keeps adoption records.   Entry 156 is an amended birth record for Mary Bridget Cullen whose date of birth is May 17, 1903. 
 Can anyone tell me what the last line of the note means (after See Entry No 156)  and the meaning of the date specified?   I am wondering if that date is when the adoption record became open to Mary Bridget ?  In 1961 and 1962 Mary Bridget is writing letters to Canada looking for relatives of her deceased mother,  which happens to be shortly after the date specified in the quoted note.   Would the adoption record be open to the public as in genealogists?
 Mary Bridget is deceased as is her husband and they did not have any children.
 Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Mary Bridget Cullen, 1903, Enniscorthy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 08:04 GMT (UK) »
I think you are misconstruing this. Her birth was registered twice, which is of course against the rules. So the second (later) birth registration was cancelled. That is all - nothing to do with adoptions, or otherwise.
"R. Ni. B" is simply the initials of the (female) official who cancelled the entry, and made the annotation. The date is the date the second registration was cancelled.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I agree
also you can see A J Donohue of St John's street was the informant on the 20 May for Mary Bridget and Joseph Brien
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1903/01866/1726829.pdf
she than went back and registered Mary Bridget again on 15 July.
she is a maternity nurse
 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Enniscorthy_Urban/St__John_s_Street/680707/
I guess the question is why did she do that.... just got herself muddled perhaps, she registers a lot of births and all I looked at seem fine but of course a mistake has to be noticed for a correction to be made and in this case it's looks like Mary Bridget looked for her birth cert in 1960 and that is when it was noticed she was there twice.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 10:06 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you Wexflyer and Sinann.  It is strange that the birth record should be cancelled so many years later.    It seems that there was something going on  because shortly after the date of the cancellation in
1960, Mary Bridget began writing letters  to Canada looking for relatives of her deceased mother .  I have copies of some of her letters.  I am not sure when her mother died but I have a picture of her in 1937.
Peggy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 10:30 GMT (UK) »
The timing isn't that surprising.
My grand uncle was born in 1887 his cert wasn't corrected until 1922, different reason than yours his had the wrong name on it but in most cases an error won't show up until someone looks for the cert.
Mary Bridget may have looked for her cert because her mother was dying or ageing, there was something she needed it for we can only guess what, when the clerk found her cert it didn't match the information she gave so he/she looked a bit more and found a second cert. Than the ball got rolling to have one of them cancelled.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 10:35 GMT (UK) »
You should be able to find her mother's death cert on IrishGenealogy, there are quite a few Mary Cullen deaths so might be hit and miss particular difficult or impossible if she didn't die at home.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 11:50 GMT (UK) »
It may be that Mary Bridget was planning a trip to Ireland and wrote home to see who may still be living in the area and to get a passport looked for her birth certificate  :)

I'ms not sure why she would be adopted as her parents married in 1892
John CULLEN a Baker & Mary Anne SHERIDAN a Dressmaker

They had five children

1 James Michael Joseph CULLEN b. Jun 21 1894 LINK
2 Michael Francis CULLIN b. Apr 15 1898 LINK d. Dublin Aug 13 1899 LINK
3 John Joseph CULLEN b. Jan 15 1900 LINK
      here John CULLEN Snr is shown as a Soldier
4 Mary Bridget CULLEN b. May 09 or 15 1903
5 Angela b. Sep 28 1910 LINK

In 1901 Mary is shown with her two sons in Wexford LINK
I cannot see John CULLEN Snr on the 1901 census

In 1911 Mary is shown with two children but states she ahd five of which four were alive LINK
John CULLEN Snr is in Dublin - LINK
There are a few options for a James CULLEN bc1894 in Wexford on the 1911 census
but there is nothing very obviously for May Bridget although she may have been in hospital as her initials or elsewhere and omitted or incorrectly returned

There is nothing immediately jumping out that would imply she was adopted.
The fact she was not at home  in 1911 aged 8 could mean she was with a grandparent or other relative with whom she continued to live.  This was not unusual.

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I hear you all and what everyone says is logical but I am still wondering about an adoption, which may be a red herring. Mary Bridget was also known as Monica Mae, American Mae, Mary Adelaide, and Mae B.  Her birth is registered in Enniscorthy and so is her death, although her marriage was in Rathdown,Co. Dublin in 1945 to Richard McDonald as per marriage record aka McDonnell as per gravestone. I was previously told that:
This is in fact a cancelled order by the Adoption people as per The Adopted  Children Register maintained by an tArd-Chláraitheoir in accordance with section 22 of the Adoption Act 1952 shall, notwithstanding the repeal of > that section by section 7 (1)—
 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/21/section/84/enacted/en/html

Family rumours say that Mary Bridget was in fact American born or at least had American parentage. So you can see why I am left confused and wondering.  Add to that, Mae began looking for relatives in Canada in 1961 and 1962 which is right after the date on the cancelled birth record.
Sorry to be a pain
Peggy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
There are birth's on the index that have no image, these I believe are the births of people who were adopted, if Mary Bridget was adopted her birth image should not be online.
However there are these notes in the help section.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/notice-concerning-cancelled-records

Are you sure you have the correct birth record?
As myluck has shown this Mary Bridget appears to have a standard start in life, only odd thing so far is where is she and her siblings in 1911 and the double birth cert.

Decided to look for an example of one with no image and the first one I looked at hit the mark
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/8e54ce3141981
I'll look at this a bit more, see if there is a second entry.