Author Topic: William SCOTT family - Ickleton  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William SCOTT family - Ickleton
« on: Friday 18 November 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,
My 6th great-grandfather was William Scott, the son of Clement Scott and Mary Jackson. Of him I have found quite a lot of information, but there is the matter of William's wife (and children) that is confusing me.

The thing is this: William marries in Ickleton on the 18th of October 1780, his spouse is called Sarah Richardson. Together they have several children: Clement '81, John '83, Richardson '84, Sarah '85, Richardson '87, William '89, Anne '91 and Sophia '93.
Yet *also* baptised in Icketon, seemingly children of the same father but now with a mother called Sarah Knott, there's Mary '95 and Richard '97.

How does this work then??!! Did Sarah Richardson die and did William remarry Sarah Knott? Yet I cannot find evidence of either a death or a remarriage. Or are Sarah Richardson and Sarah Knott perhaps actually the same woman?

Then there is another Sarah Richardson in Ickleton, who marries Richard Knott in 1758 in that same place. Their children are Richardson '59, Everit '60, Abraham '62, Mary '64, Sophia '79 and Abraham '81.

Now, I'm pretty sure these two families are somehow related, but I can't fathom how. So any info would be appreciated. And any birth/baptism information on either Sarah Richardson or Sarah Knott and their parents would be good too!

Thanks for any help!
Regards,
Lexi.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William SCOTT family - Ickleton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree online that states that the Sarah Richardson who married William Scott in 1780 was the baseborn child of the Sarah Richardson who later married Richard Knott. It says that she was born in Wimbush Essex, and there was a settlement order in 1757 when she moved to Ickleton and married. Worth a check I would think. So this could be why she called herself Knott when she had her last two children!
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that sounds MORE than plausible!!!

Do you have any idea where I could find this tree so I can investigate the case myself?

Thanks again!!

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The only strange thing, though, is that Sarah doesn't seem to have taken the name Knott until after 1793, when she had already been married for 13 years and was aged about 40... Her first 8 children are baptised when she is still Sarah Richardson, then from 1795 suddenly the last two children are baptised when she is Sarah Knott.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
That should be Wimbish Essex, not Wimbush. You may be able to find her birth on Essex SEAX, which is a paying site. The Settlement order is from Essex Archives, and the trees are on A******y however you always have to be pretty careful when going down this route, and should only be used as a guide to possibly point you in the right direction.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 16 15:58 GMT (UK) »
That should be Wimbish Essex, not Wimbush. You may be able to find her birth on Essex SEAX, which is a paying site. The Settlement order is from Essex Archives, and the trees are on A******y however you always have to be pretty careful when going down this route, and should only be used as a guide to possibly point you in the right direction.
regards.

Haha yes these trees have the most absurd nonsense in them sometimes, the people who created them just copy/paste from others and round and round it goes... I generally only use them as inspiration, so I know where to go look.

Pity the Essex website and archives aren't freely searchable online - I'm in the Netherlands so can't just up and visit Essex  ;) Well, I could, but it'd cost me a lot of money...

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 16 18:43 GMT (UK) »
When Sarah Richardson married Richard Knott on 29 October 1758 the parish register states that Sarah was "of Wimbish, Essex".

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
When Sarah Richardson married Richard Knott on 29 October 1758 the parish register states that Sarah was "of Wimbish, Essex".

Selina

I think I found her there, baptised in 1735, the daughter of Nathaniel Richardson and Anne, who I assume to be Anne Holloway, who married the above-mentioned Nate in 1731, also in Wimbish. Seems legit  ;)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
They are gradually putting the records for Essex onto FreeREG, but they have not got Wimbish on there yet.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks