Author Topic: The Reverend John Levingston.  (Read 2546 times)

Offline JohnLevingston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Reverend John Levingston.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 March 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
Dear John
I am in Sydney, Australia.

Thank you for the birth record for TC Levingston.  I also have the marriage record for Rev John L and Agnes Clarke.  One of girls, Jessie, went to Queens College, into Banking and was the first woman bank manager in Ireland.  I was told that most of the women did not marry as so many men were killed in WW1.  I went to Shropshire in 1975 and met the Levingston and Flewett families who lived there.

I am attaching a photo of Rev John Levingston though I don't know when it was taken though I see it was at a Belfast Studio, and presumably after he had remarried,  a matter of which we were unaware until I read the thread earlier today. 

I also have photos of Thomas Levingston if you are interested.

Regards

John Levingston

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 March 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi John.
Many thanks KG for the information. Every bit helps.
Thats a great photo John. Havent seen it before. Think i am a bit like him, sleepy eyes.

Is,nt that a pity we hadnt come across each other sooner. We had a lovely time in Sydney last year and had the next trip nearly booked for this year only for what has come abt. Was only talking with our son earlier and says you are the very same as home here, nothing moving. Lockdown.

As regards the Levingston/Levingstone family John i have much research done on the older generations. The Rev John was the son of William Levingstone and Phoebe Scanlon of Bunclody Co Carlow. William had a brother George who was my GG grandfather. William and George in turn were the sons of a William Leviston. Back to the old spelling of name. This William was married to an Elizabeth. Have never yet figured out who she was.

The Rev Joh and Agnes Clarke. I have 9 children for them. I see Jessie born 21 may 1893 in Cork. I have a death 1984 but not sure at present where i got that. Did she ever marry ???

Would love to see the picture of Thomas

Inputting info into my tree. Fourth cousins are we ??

You thats out in Sydney. Have you heard of Hannan Print.

Any questions you may have fire on John. Do my best.

John

Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline JohnLevingston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 03:25 BST (UK) »
John

I will separately send two photos of TC Levingston, first in 1917 as a Lieutenant, second (date unknown) as a Lt Colonel.

Jessie never married, as was the case for most young women after WW1.

Best wishes
John Levingston

Offline JohnLevingston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 03:27 BST (UK) »
TC Levingston 1917

Offline JohnLevingston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 03:39 BST (UK) »
Lt. Col. TC Levingston in Dress Uniform

Offline JohnLevingston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 03:40 BST (UK) »
John

sorry, I don't know of Hannan Print

John

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
Morning John.
They are great photos. You are lucky to have them all. As regards Hannanprint here is a google article on their business back a few years ago https://www.sprinter.com.au/hannanprint-gives-inside-peak-at-90m-warwick-farm-supersite/  . They would also be part of Rathdrum Properties. A family that would seem to have done well for themselves in Australia. Self made , worked hard.

The connection is we all come down the same Levingstone line. All back to William and Elizabeth Levingstone Bunclody. I have 8 children for this family. Yourself coming down the line of their son William marrying Phoebe Scanlon. Myself in their son George marrying a Mary Lewis and the Hannan line is in their daughter Susan born around 1820 Kilbrannish, Carlow marrying a Matthew Hannan of Tinahely, Wicklow. Matthew and Susan had a family of 8 with 3 of them emigrating to New Zealand and Australia.

I found the death for Jessie Levingston later yesterday and saw that she had died in England . surnmae still Levingston so presumed she had not married. Alot of the Cork family seemed to end up in England.

Have you any idea John which Bank Jessie worked for. Would be interesting to look her history up.

John

Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline JohnLevingston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks John

Sorry, I don't know which bank.

J

Offline Arroyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 January 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a connection through his second wife May. I am her nephew. Just came across this site recently. I would like to connect with family of Rev. John.  Gerry