Author Topic: Henry Harry ? 1871 Census  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Harry ? 1871 Census
« on: Monday 21 November 16 05:41 GMT (UK) »
My Henry Harry bC1845 was aged 7 living with his widowed mother and siblings at Bucklers St Austell.
In 1861 he was aged 16 living with his widowed mother Jane at Brays Place St Austell.
Henry married Elizabeth Hancock 5 Nov. 1874 at St Austell.His profession was "miner, aged 29.

By 1881 he had become the innkeeper at "Seven Stars" East Hill.
Later he became innkeeper of the "Bugle Inn".

Henry died 1920 at Bugle.

Can someone please help locate him in 1871? I assume he was stillin St Austell.
His mother Jane died 26 Mar 1874.

Wife Elizabeth ( Hancock ) Harry is still to be accounted for beyond 1911.

With thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Harry ? 1871 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 16 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Probate of Henrys estate -Annie Glover (wife of Charles Glover) &  Philip Melville Coode -solicitor
The will may mention his wife

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
Are you suggesting she may have already died ( or estranged) , cosidering a daughter was the benefactor ?
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, they are not the benefactors but the executors, though they could benefit from the will
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The Funeral of Mr. Henry Harry, of Rosevear-road, Bugle, aged 75 years, took place at St. Austell Cemetery, on Sunday, the Rev. J.E. Carey (vicar of Treverbyn) officiating. Deceased spent six years in California, and since his return has been an hotel-keeper for about 30 years at St. Austell, and for a considerable number of years at Bugle. Mrs. Harry (the widow) was unable to attend, and the principal mourners were: Mr. H. Harry (son); Mrs. H. Penfold, Mrs. C.H. Glover, Mrs. W.C. Brenton (daughters); Master R. Penfold (grandson); Mr. Charles H. Glover, Mr. W.C. Brenton (sons-in-law); Mr. W. Hancock, Mrs. J. Cock, Mr. J. Cock, Mrs. W. Hancock, Mr. B. Hancock (brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law). Deceased was a Freemason for about 40 years and the following acted as bearers: Messrs. I. Tremewan, F.W. Jury, T. Jane, W. Kevern, Preston Thomas, and Capt. Fred Pinch. Among those present were Messrs. W. Ashton, J. Thomas, G. Bramble, W. Lightfoot, J. Hocking, A. Skinner, A. Blight, W. Rowse, A. Chapman, W.H. Bettison, S.J. Dyer, W.H. Symons, A.C. Gregor, E.H. Richards, F.J.P. Richards, and Capt. Walter Higman.
West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser, 01 July 1920, page 6, bottom of column 2

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Telenlethaed.
This is valued information.
I am able to identify other family members who attended the funeral.His widow Elizabeth/Betsey (Hancock) died 1929
Henry 1845-1920 was a younger brother of my great grandfather John Hammer Harry 1837-1915. John came to Australia mid 1800s. We think he may have travelled Plymouth to Port Adelaide South Australia on "Storm Cloud" arriving 28 April 1858. He was then aged 20.He married Beechworth Victoria and settled El Dorado.

I really appreciate this contribution.

Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 December 16 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Telinlethaed
I hope I have the spelling of your title correct this time.

I was interested to learn that Henry Harry had spent six years in California.
I am assuming this must have been before 1874 when he married Elizabeth / Betsey Hancock.
I think it is her aged 26 working for John Hodge Innkeeper at High St St Austell. I wonder what was the name of the hotel?

With thanks
Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I think I have now found Henry Harry on the 1870 US Census of Amador California, so gives him time to return home for 1874 marriage at St Austell.
This explains why missing 1871 St Austell.