Author Topic: Van der Poel  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Rexie2006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Van der Poel
« on: Monday 21 November 16 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,
I am trying to trace the family of a Jack Van der Poel who was a young refugee from Belgium to Britain during WW1. I have very little information about him. He became very close friend with my Father who was born in 1907. I can only guess that they were of similar age. He lived in my Father's village, Beeston, near Sandy in Bedfordshire and I believe that he had a sister called Leone, who, apparently , Dad was very sweet on. He did not return to Belgium immediately after the war ended as I have a Christmas card that he sent to Dad, the postmark on the envelope showing that it was posted in Sandy on Christmas eve in 1921. It is signed.. 'from your little friend Jack Van Der Poel'. I'm sure that he would have passed on by now but I would love to trace his family if that were possible.
Rex W Dunham

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Van der Poel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Roots Chat.

Just a question on his last name.  Have you tried spelling variations, especially anglicized, i.e.
Vanderpoll or Vanderpool. Even his 1st name could have been changed from Jacques to Jack and later to John.
I only ask because many of those who arrived in the UK changed their names later in order to "fit-in"

For example my family name is Schoch but later it was changed to Shock or even Schock.
Also you might try this post in the Europe forum to see if you can find his family there.  Ask the moderator to move it for you.

good luck

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Cambridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Van der Poel
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
You could try Van Der Pol - there are definitely some people with that name in the villages around Sandy and Potton?