Author Topic: Transport Strickland  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Transport Strickland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 November 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Myluck
Thank you for the information.
I will see if I can find more baptisms for a couple of these families with "Transport Strickland" and see where they go to.
I will let you know in a few days.
Pat

Dillons owned extensive land in Mayo and a house at Loughglynn
The Stricklands were there estate managers and instigated several evictions or movement of people from one part of the estate to others.
I wonder is the reference made for families that originated from somewhere else and were not formalised with a new address hence "transport Strickland"?
You would have to check the names of the families and the time periods involved.

There is an online reference that "When Lord Dillon's agent Strickland was improving the grounds around his lodgings he moved five families - Duffy, Morris, O'Gara, Regan and Rush families from Castlemore to a townland at the other end of the County called Ballyglass beside Kiltullagh Hill not too far from Ballyhaunis" this was between 1837 and 1856.  I notice REGAN is one of the baptisms.

Link to piece on Stricklands with further link to the houses they lived in
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 November 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I did a bit of searching on this last night and read that people in that area used the term 'transported' when they were moved to poor ground by the Landlords but this was from an earlier period. Might be relevant.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 November 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Myluck
Thank you for the information.
I will see if I can find more baptisms for a couple of these families with "Transport Strickland" and see where they go to.
I will let you know in a few days.
Pat

Dillons owned extensive land in Mayo and a house at Loughglynn
The Stricklands were there estate managers and instigated several evictions or movement of people from one part of the estate to others.
I wonder is the reference made for families that originated from somewhere else and were not formalised with a new address hence "transport Strickland"?
You would have to check the names of the families and the time periods involved.

Don't have time to look but.... are there any females who might have married about 20 years later that might be in records?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 November 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't have thought that the address would be given as "transport..." or "transported..." for very long; only until the family was settled at a known address, but this is just a thought on my part.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder