Author Topic: "Lord" Charles Oscar de Courcy  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Lord" Charles Oscar de Courcy
« on: Friday 25 November 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for the trial transcripton or any other records about a bogus English "Lord" who was arrested in Maine for fraud. The Report of the Attorney General for the state of Main in their report of 1891 gave " Charles Oscar De Courcy-obtaining money under false pretences-sentenced to 2 years in the state Prison"

The New York Times of February 27,1891 called him a "Bogus Lord" recently arrested for swindling operations in various town in Washington County,Maine and sent to jail in Bangor in default of $1,000 bail to await trial at the April term of court"

The Bangor Daily Whig and Courier Feb 19,1891 has an article about this case but I was not able to read it.

The New York Herald of Thursday Feb 19,1891 stated " A young man who called himself Charles Oscar De Courcy claims to be an English Lord, and who has been living at Machias, was arrested in this city this afternoon at the request of Sheriff Longfellow, of Washington County. He is wanted on the charge of having duped people there to the extent of $700.At his boarding house, after his arrest, he took half an ounce of laudanum with suicidal intent.There is no Lord De Courcy, the title having become extint. Baron De Courcy died in 1828 unmarried and was succeeded by his cousin John Fitzroy, the present Lord Kinsale.

I have been researching Thomas Horatio Howarth, born 1845/1846 Manchester England who was sentenced twice (1868 and 1879) and served time in the Maidstone,Kent Prison. His trial in Madestone in 1870 reported on the frauds he committed in 1870 in Eastbourn under the alias of Lord De Courcy/ Lord Albert De Courcy and others and that he was arrested in Tunbridge Wells, Kent a few weeks later as Thomas Horatio Howarth and identified as the same man using the De Courcy name. After his release from prison his documents said he was going to emigrate to the USA and I have found a passenger record for a Thomas Horatio Howarth departing from Liverpool on the SS NEVADA arriving in New York on January 25,1872 and I am trying to prove that the man who was imprisioned in England is the same man who was arrested in Maine.

The only other information I have, and I don't know if it is relevant is a record for a Charles Oscar De Courcy stated to be born 1864 who married Georgia Hoar at Machias .Washington County, Maine April 24,1889 at Machias. They had two children. One of the newspaper article about the fraud in main stated he wrote to his wife at the time of his arrest and so presumably he was married. As noted above my man in England was born 1845/1846 so that does not match the above birth date of the De Courcy who married Georgia so the only match might just be the name and have noting to do with the man using that name in the Maine fraud case.

Everything I have given above is all the information I have. If you have anything else about this inquiry please reply.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Lord" Charles Oscar de Courcy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I should add that the alias used by Thomas Horario Howarth in Eastbour were "Lord De Courcy"/ Lord Alfred de Courcy, and C.A. De Courcy.

I should also clarify that the Charles Oscar De Courcy born 1864 was married at Machias, Washingto Co. Main' that his wife Georgia Hoar was born at Machias and perhaps coincidentaly the man by the same name was arrested for fraud while living in Machias. Are they the same man? If so and if his birth was really 1864 then I would have to say that he is not the same man in England convicted of frauds using the De Courcy name as an alias-any comments?

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
A column and a half news article in the Bangor Daily Wig and Courier from 19 Feb 1891 states that he was about 35 years old, 5' 8", stooped shouldered, wild black eyes, high cheek bones, thick lips, straight black hair, and speaks with a Lancashire brogue.  Also speculates that he was of French/Indian heritage.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 16 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the description of him. The De Coursy/Howarth man imprisoned in England was born 1845/1846 in Manchester Lancashire. The De Coursy you described had a Lancashire accident so good match there even though his year of birth (abt age 35) would make him born 1856....Still a possible match though.

Anything from reports in America that the De Coursey name being used in the USA by that man was an alias and that his real name was Thomas Horatio Howarth?

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he "altered" his year of birth when he married Georgia in Maine?  I had an ancestor who "forgot" when he was born; family tales suggest that he wanted to be closer in age to his wife.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I way be way off track, but perhaps worth mentioning?  :-\

According to one online tree, Georgia Hoar and Charles Oscar Decourcy had two children
Carl Herbert Decourcy, born 26 April, 1891, Machias, Maine
Lillian Gladys Decourcy, born 21 March 1890, Machias, Maine
  Looking at that tree, his name is also recorded as Carl Thaxter

A Carl Herbert Decourcy passed away in 1958 in California; his father's surname was Decourcy.

1910 District 0156, Middle Fork, Lane Co., Oregon Census
Carl H Thaxter, boarder, single, age 19, born in Maine as were parents.  He was a time keeper for a railroad camp.
Also living with the same group of people was a
John Decoursey?, boarder, age 57, widowed, born in New York, parents born in Ireland.  Foreman, Rail Road
Coincidence?  Information is incorrect for your men, but   ???

Also
1900 District 0866, Medford Ward 01, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Thaxter, Cannot read first name - typed record shows Firal?, born Aug 1863, age 36, father of 4 children; born Maine as were parents.  Occupation Porter
Georgia? (cannot read middle initial); wife (2nd); born Apr 1866, age 34, mother of 4 children; born Maine, father born Eng Canada, mother born Maine
Lillian G, daughter, born Mar 1890, born Maine, father born England, mother born Maine
Carl H., son, born Apr 1890, born Maine, father born England, mother born Maine
Margaret A, born June 1897, born Maine as were parents
Charlotte G?, born Oct 1898, born Maine as were parents
Cushing Street, #50?

Note:  I've not proofread the above, hopefully it doesn't contain any errors.

I wonder if John DeCoursey? was just a coincidence?  Could he have resurfaced (using another name) after his "time away"?  Note:  His name on one of the pay sites is typed as "Decowsay" but the image could be Decoursey.

Update:  John Decoursey could just be a coincidence.  1880 Census: John Decoursey, born c1854, New York, parents born Ireland.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Another online tree states Charles/Thomas died during the "Philippine-American War", as per "some correspondence".

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the passenger list for
Waesland left Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for Liverpool, England, arriving 3 May 1900
C A De Courcy, Single, Gent, "Foreigner" (not English, Scotch, or Irish), adult male.

Ship: New England, Arrival 13 July 1900, Boston, Massachusetts
List of Saloon Passengers included
Mr. C. A. De Courcy

Update:  There was an American judge with the name of Charles A. De Courcy, born September 1857, Massachusetts.  The above may be his sailing.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your investigations and information-very interesting. The key to sorting it all out would be a newspaper article mentioning that the De Coursy who committed the crimes in Maine was an alias and that he was Thomas Horatio Howarth-that would clinch it. If no such article can be found than I would have to conclude they are not the same man and therefore the man in Maine is of no interest to me.