Author Topic: "Lord" Charles Oscar de Courcy  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Lord" Charles Oscar de Courcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 November 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
LISA:  I've been looking at the de Courcy/Thaxter link and Georgia T Hoar marries Frank Walter Thaxter in Machias 28 Aug 1896.  Obviously, de Courcy is either divorced* or she is a widow by this time.  This family migrates to Berkeley, CA and I've been trying to see if Carl's obit mentions his father.  His sister, Lillian marries an Edward L Lord and is living on the East coast when Georgia dies in 1934, at the age of 68.

*corrected:  should proof-read before submitting

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 November 16 15:28 GMT (UK) »
This family migrates to Berkeley, CA and I've been trying to see if Carl's obit mentions his father.  His sister, Lillian marries an Edward L Lord and is living on the East coast when Georgia dies in 1934, at the age of 68.

Carl's DC : http://tinyurl.com/z38mcgo

OR

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9SJ-5L5H?i=1050&wc=SJ5J-DP8%3A285174601%2C285470501&cc=2001287

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
LISA:  I've been looking at the de Courcy/Thaxter link and Georgia T Hoar marries Frank Walter Thaxter in Machias 28 Aug 1896.  Obviously, de Courcy is either deceased or she is a widow by this time.  This family migrates to Berkeley, CA and I've been trying to see if Carl's obit mentions his father.  His sister, Lillian marries an Edward L Lord and is living on the East coast when Georgia dies in 1934, at the age of 68.

Hi, the original image of the Thaxter/Decourcy marriage shows it is Georgia's second marriage and she is divorced.  So potentially the "Lord" is still at large at this time.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:31 GMT (UK) »
This family migrates to Berkeley, CA and I've been trying to see if Carl's obit mentions his father.  His sister, Lillian marries an Edward L Lord and is living on the East coast when Georgia dies in 1934, at the age of 68.

Carl's DC : http://tinyurl.com/z38mcgo

OR

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9SJ-5L5H?i=1050&wc=SJ5J-DP8%3A285174601%2C285470501&cc=2001287

Strangely, the DC posted by RJ137 shows Carl's father to be JOHN DECOURCY born CANADA  :-\
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 November 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your investigations and information-very interesting. The key to sorting it all out would be a newspaper article mentioning that the De Coursy who committed the crimes in Maine was an alias and that he was Thomas Horatio Howarth-that would clinch it. If no such article can be found than I would have to conclude they are not the same man and therefore the man in Maine is of no interest to me.

Did you miss my reply (No.19) in your other thread on the subject?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 November 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies-most interesting.

Yes I saw reply 19 on the other thread but the name he gave as his "real" name may have been another alias. What would resolve it is an article or other document stating that De Coursy in Main was using the name Thomas Horatio Howarth. If the Howarth name does not show up in any Maine records then they most likely are not the same man.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 November 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Lancashire OPC ? It is the best resource for Lancashire Parish Records

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

I have a had a quick look and between 1841 and 1870 there are hundreds of baptisms for a Thomas Haworth/Howorth across the county of Lancashire. Unfortunately it isn't an unusual name in the area.

If he really was born in "Manchester", these are the Parish areas on the site that would be classed as the city.

Ancoats 
  Ardwick 
  Blackley 
  Cheetham 
  Chorlton-cum-Hardy 
  Chorlton-on-Medlock 
  Collyhurst 
  Crumpsall 
  Didsbury 
  Flixton 
  Gorton 
  Harpurhey 
  Heaton Norris 
  Hulme 
  Manchester
  Miles Platting 
  Newton Heath
  Old Trafford 
  Rusholme
  Stretford 
  Urmston 
  Withington 

It does seem a coincidence that the two men have the same alias as a surname and are committing the same type of crime. I sympathise with you because we had a swindler, as well as other crimes, in our family tree and she used an alias. She was convicted under her "real" registered birth name but went by, and was mostly convicted under, her mothers maiden surname. The problem is that lying is their trade and so it is hard to know what to believe about any name or age.

I would look for other criminal records and also maybe some other criminals in the family. Maybe he was born Horatio and Thomas was a name he used day to day? I would think he is most likely English/British, as the name was likely inspired by Horatio Nelson. If he had a "Lancashire accent", then the Lancashire OPC is your best bet for Parish Records. It is a great website for anyone researching the county.

Added -
Hadn't noticed the other topic.

This one?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759912.18

Thanks aghadowey