Author Topic: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC stopped working - W10?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC stopped working - W10?
« on: Sunday 27 November 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Until today, for the past 6+ years, I've been able to read transcribed PRs on CDs using Adobe Acrobat.

Today, I can get to the headpage (list of contents) but can't go any further.  We've tried re-installing but the same thing happens.  This is extremely frustrating as some of the data isn't available elsewhere and I've spent several hundred pounds on these CDs.

This is happening on our two Toshiba PCs which were 'upgraded' to W10 in July.  There have been no major problems with W10 until now.

Any suggestions welcome - in plain English please!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC stopped working - W10?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Just checked both of our computers (one desktop, one laptop).   Both W10 both with Acrobat DC working OK.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I held off trying to answer this in the hope that someone else would have the answer you're looking for. I don't - I'm still using Windows 7, and only rarely use Acrobat Reader, so in that sense I'm not able to help you directly.

The thing is, though, that Acrobat isn't the only pdf reader program - and my personal view is that it may not be the best either. The one I use is PDF-XChange Editor from Tracker Software. As the name suggests, it has some editing functions: these can be fully unlocked by paying, but it works as a reader without paying. One of the things I much prefer about it is that you can have multiple documents open in tabs in the same window, unlike any version of Acrobat that I've used.

If you don't want to go down the route of a fully-installed program, there are also some portable ones which work from a USB flash drive. These tend to be very small and lightweight, and with fewer features; the one I've found works best is Sumatra PDF.

HarryW replied while I was typing, and it seems there should be a way to get your current software working properly. But if not, it might be worth seeing if something else works for you. Either way, you shouldn't need to ditch your expensive CDs.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Try this fix,
 Download the Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool (link) from Adobe and select "AcroCleaner for 10.x and later."  Even if the previous reader was Adobe Reader DC on a Windows 8.1 PC, the correct option is AcroCleaner for 10.x and later (not, despite the name, "AcroCleaner for DC and later").  After the cleaner runs and the PC restarts, Adobe Reader DC can be reinstalled and all .PDFs will become readable again.

"Important: This tool is not for use with any Creative Suite products including suites that contain Acrobat.  It can only be used with standalone versions of Acrobat and Adobe Reader."

Possibly the reason your reader is not now working is because it has become clogged up with ad ware.  The cleaner above will cure this, hopefully!  Worth a try anyway.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all who replied, and apologies for not responding earlier :-[

While I was having an unproductive sulk, OH found another reader called Foxit which appears to work for us and also keeps multiple documents open in tabs.

Problem solved - I hope!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch