Author Topic: Archdeanry of Lewes wills Clark 1832  (Read 3227 times)

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archdeanry of Lewes wills Clark 1832
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 December 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I checked the ESRO website and there is a Thomas Clark  12 Mar 1800.  I think this is a son of John Clark and brother to my Philip Clark.  I think I can find him.    Started this search with 5 Thomas Clarks to sort out.  Learning lots.  Thank you.   LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline Alilenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Henry Clark of Playden, Miller
Will proved 30 June 1832 in the Archdeaconry of Lewes

You can see the original will on Family Search, if you register and are logged in
first image here
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6MZ3-R55?i=330

Register for a free account -
https://familysearch.org/register/1
John

Don't know if you can help me I am new to this but just seen your post. I am looking for a way of finding wills of my ancestors but don't understand how to do it. I seen your post above but am getting nothing. I am in Australia so can't go in and visit Sussex to get the wills. Any ideas on how I can do this.
I am trying to find the wills for my Bedingfeld family.  I have got a couple from National Archives UK that were available for me to download, but not the ones I am after.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Alison
King, Bedingfeld, Hamilton, Lyons

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Please can you give us some details of the wills you are looking for: names and dates and if you know, in which court they were proved. Then we may be able to help you.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alilenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 June 22 07:05 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry I jumped on here and saw the post with regards to wills and was thinking am I missing something. I am in Australia and have no idea where to begin with regards to the wills in the UK. Where do I find these and is there anything online where I can possibly access (even an index) so I can work out whrere the wills are kept.
I was only aware of the National Archives UK which has some but obviously not all. And from there I have been lucky enough to be able to download some that have been digitised but others haven't. But I have ancestors who were living in Catsfiled / Battle area, Norfolk area, and am researching Ditchingham Manor, and also stumbled on something with regards to the family having been in hold of Kirklinton Hall. I had not heard of this one before but apparently my ancestor was from there.
But I'd really like to try and get my hands on some wills for my ancestors.

The surnames of all listed below were spelt BEDINGFELD / BEDINGFIELD
(it seems this family went from one spelling to another thruout there lives - gets kinda confusing)

Francis Philip1784-1864
Mary Delicia (nee Rose) 1793-1828
Francis Philip 1817-
Thomas Forrester 1818-1897
Charles de Longueville 1819-1859
Eldred Havers 1820-
Norman Bernard 1824-1894
Howard Downman 1825-1896
Mary Catherine STERKEY (nee Bedingfeld) 1816-

If anyone can send me in the right direction on where or how to get some info I'd be most greatful.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 July 22 21:24 BST (UK) »
Ok - Bedingfield is a name often found in Norfolk.  This particular thread is about wills proved in East Sussex prior to 1858.

Wills proved prior to 1858 were proved by church courts in the jurisdiction in which the testator resided.  So if you ancestor/relative died in Norfolk somewhere, you may find a will in the Norfolk archives (always assuming that they left a will) or it may have been proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC).  This is the research guide from NOrfolk Record Offce:
https://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/family-history/wills-and-probate/church-courts---probate-records-before-11-january-1858

The National Archives (TNA) hold the wills proved in PCC and these can be searched for in their catalogue.  They have two useful research guides here:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/wills-or-administrations-before-1858/
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/wills-and-probate-before-1858-further-research/

Ancestry also has images of PCC wills pre-1858.

At least five of the people listed in your post died after this date and so if they left a will, you would need to search here:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/

You can order a pdf downloadable copy of the will for £1.50.  Try all spelling variants.  ;)

I hope that helps.

Nell

Offline Alilenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 July 22 01:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Just so I am getting this correct. So if I am researching family who were living in Kent and Catsfield they would come under Canterbury is that correct. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. But am learning something new every day here.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 July 22 22:23 BST (UK) »
So if I am researching family who were living in Kent and Catfield they would come under Canterbury

Not necessarily.  PCC is the highest ecclesisatical court, but many wills were proved in lower more local courts. It depends on where the property held by the deceased was located.  Please look at the Genuki page on Norfolk probate records:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NFK/probate#before1858

Most county record offices will now hold the wills for the church courts which covered that county.  But there are some exceptions.  FamilySearch has an article which may help you get started on understanding more:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/England_Probate_Records#General_Historical_Background

Some wills are available to view via FamilySearch, Ancestry or FindMyPast.

I hope that helps.

Nell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 July 22 21:56 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify - are your ancestors from Catfield (Norfolk) or Catsfield (East Sussex).  There is a big difference in terms of geographical location.  And it might make a difference as to where to look.

Nell

Offline Alilenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 12:11 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Little Nell link=topic=760252.msg7334112#