Author Topic: Chesterfield address lookup please  (Read 1773 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield address lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:39 BST (UK) »
That'll be interesting to see the current numbering and how it relates to the original.  I take it you live in Chesterfield or in the area?  One of my Strickland ancestors was verger for Chesterfield church - the one with the twisted spire. 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 June 20 19:28 BST (UK) »
There is a newspaper article regarding the sale of the three terraces in Spital Lane in the Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 21 August 1920.

It appears they have been re-numbered by 1920.  The article mentions...
Nine six roomed dwelling houses known as Ladysmith Terrace numbers 16-32 (even)
Nine six roomed dwelling houses known as Mafeking Terrace numbers 34-50 (even)
Eighteen six roomed dwelling houses known as Kimberley Terrace numbers 52-86 (even)

Val, your ancestor would have lived at the current number 86 on the end of the terrace, previously number 18 Kimberley Terrace.

Andy, your great grandfather would have lived at the current number 58, previously number 4 Kimberley Terrace.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 June 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Val, there is also a newspaper article in the Derbyshire Courier 15 February 1916.

The article has information and comments made by Private E. Strickland, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Strickland of 86 Kimberley Terrace, Spital Road, Chesterfield.  Bonus - there is also a photo of him!

I cannot post it here as attachments aren't allowed on a Lookup Board, if you would like a copy send me your email address by PM and I will forward it to you.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline AndyMed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 June 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Looks like Jool has got better access to info than I have ... thanks, Jool, for the excellent info!   I'm sure that Val will be delighted to see the photo you mention.  And yes, Val, I do live in Chesterfield - about a mile or so out of the town centre, and Spital Lane is the road I walk along to get there.  Walked past Kimberley Terrace many times over the 15 years we've been here!

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jool, and I will PM you.  I think Pvte E Strickland would be a relative's uncle, so he'd be interested in the newspaper article too.

If it's Ernest Harold (known as Harold/Harry) Strickland, he lost a leg due to a workplace injury in 1925.  There's more about this in his obit published in the Derbyshire Times, January 1959.  His wife was verger of the parish church, and Harry apparently used to climb the inside of the steeple, right to the top despite only having one leg.  Not sure why he had to climb the steeple - I'd have to check my notes.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
I certainly didn't expect to have more info 4 years after posting my request - great work RootsChatters!  Thanks.  A few extra pieces to the puzzle, to flesh out the dusty documents.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline johnnstuart27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Ernest Harold was the uncle of my mother with whom she lived (along with Aunt Mabel) as a child in Church Walk. She recollects visiting her father who lived with her grandfather and mother in what is now Spital Lane 

Offline johnnstuart27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Rereading this, 'Harry' (Thomas Henry) 1887 -1968 would I think be my maternal grandfather, the brother of Harold and Jack and son of Mr & Mrs H Strickland of Spital Lane,

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 March 21 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Johnnstuart27.  I think we may have been in touch already via Ancestry?  I'll PM you.
Crook, Bannister, Warren