Author Topic: Willmott - Doubtfire marriage in 1798 at St James Clerkenwell  (Read 1006 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Willmott - Doubtfire marriage in 1798 at St James Clerkenwell
« on: Monday 28 November 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help shed some light on the following.

The brother of my 3rd great-grandfather, Daniel William Willmott married a woman called Mary Ann Hewitt Doubtfire on 15th September 1798 at St James Clerkenwell.  According to the marriage record Mary Ann was a minor at the time of the marriage.

They went on to have two daughters, Jane Elizabeth born 1799 in Highgate and Lucretia Albertina born 1806 in Clerkenwell.  Lucretia Albertina died in infancy the same year as her birth.  I'm assuming Mary Ann may have died soon after the birth of the child because Daniel married Ann Morley on 30th April 1807 at St Mary's Stoke Newington.

I've been unable to find with any confidence Mary Ann's baptism record.  There is a baptism of a Mary Ann Doubtfire dated 1st August 1779 at St George the Martyr Southwark to parents William and Mary Doubtfire.  This William and Mary Doubtfire had three other children: William 1777, James 1781 and Frances Sophia 1788 all baptised at the same church as Mary Ann.

I've also seen a marriage record for a William Doubtfire and a Mary Hewitt dated 6th December 1787 at St Martin in the Fields.  The baptisms of the three eldest children above would pre-date this marriage.

Daniel Willmott was well connected and eventually conducted most of his business life in and around Rotherhithe.  His eldest daughter Jane Elizabeth married a wealthy wine merchant called Sebastian Smith who was the son of Christopher Smith, importer of foreign wines and spirits, Alderman of London from 1807 until his death and Lord Mayor of London in 1817.

Can anyone help track down Mary Ann's baptism and identify the names of her parents?  Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Willmott - Doubtfire marriage in 1798 at St James Clerkenwell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 11:11 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that her parents were William and Mary as the marriage cert states "a minor with consent of Mary Doubtfire the lawful mother"

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I forgot to mention that the mother's name is recorded on the marriage document.

What are the implications of that statement on the marriage certificate?   Did a minor only require the consent of one parent for the marriage to take place, or was the consent of both parents, if alive, required?

Daniel Willmott had been baptised on 18th September 1780 so may have been only 18 years old when the marriage took place, and therefore may have required parental consent himself in that case.  Unfortunately his baptism record doesn't indicate his birth date.  Of course, he may have been born 3 years or more prior to the baptism, and therefore 21 years or older at the time of the marriage, but I would have thought that would have been unusual.

Regards,
Chris

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Land Tax redemption 1798
Clerkenwell Green,  Mary Doubtfire

No William mentioned, so another Mary Doubtfire.
The fact that Mary Ann Hewitt Doubtfire has the name Hewitt does not necessarily mean her mothers maiden name. I have a family that  included maiden names of brothers wives and surnames of sisters husbands as middle names of their children.

Added St James Clerkenwell 11 December 1798 by License
John Woodward married Mary Doubtfire, the witness is Mary Willmott. The one who had married Daniel Willmott in September 1798

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Yes, I agree.....the source of Hewitt is tenuous and may not be her mother's maiden name.

Chris