Author Topic: British regiment in Canada 1810-1821  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: British regiment in Canada 1810-1821
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Military Date: 7 Apr 1809". This is not shown on the original record so where might Ancestry have got that date from and what does it mean?

These images are scans of open ledgers with the record continuing on the opposite page. Have you looked at the next image?

ShaunJ you are a star! I had simply viewed the image presented to me but having taken your advice I see there is indeed a second page with a lot more information. Firstly is states that it is a record for the 1st battalion of the 82nd Foot, not the 2nd as was suggested earlier. Against my "ancestor" under Attestation is that mysterious date 7 Apr 1809, which is presumably the date he signed up. That second page also shows that he died on 25 Oct 1812 (Napoleonic Wars?) which means that he is not after all my 3G Grandfather as my 2G Grandfather was born in 1819! However, this hasn't been a wasted exercise as he might still be a relative and I have learned quite a bit about military history and military records, so many thanks to everyone who has responded.
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Just one more thing about this military record. I can't quite make out what it says in the Observations column after "Died 25 Oct 1812". It's difficult to read with the bleed-through but I think it starts "by order of .....". Anyone any ideas?   (N.B. Scroll right to see full image)

Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

[quote author=Latchfordian link=topic=760294.msg6112493#msg6112493

ShaunJ you are a star! I had simply viewed the image presented to me but having taken your advice I see there is indeed a second page with a lot more information. Firstly is states that it is a record for the 1st battalion of the 82nd Foot, not the 2nd as was suggested earlier. Against my "ancestor" under Attestation is that mysterious date 7 Apr 1809, which is presumably the date he signed up. That second page also shows that he died on 25 Oct 1812 (Napoleonic Wars?) which means that he is not after all my 3G Grandfather as my 2G Grandfather was born in 1819! However, this hasn't been a wasted exercise as he might still be a relative and I have learned quite a bit about military history and military records, so many thanks to everyone who has responded.
[/quote]

Sorry, that was my fault through looking at wrong list which refers to 1st & 2nd batts. 40th and 82nd foot amalgamated in 1881 hence my references. 2nd batt would have been 82nd foot at the time you are interested in. So they would only have had one battalion plus militia batts normally. Must look at what i'm reading in future.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)