Author Topic: Inglis/Hastie/Wilson familes in Manor, Peebles  (Read 4916 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inglis/Hastie/Wilson familes in Manor, Peebles
« on: Monday 28 November 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather William Inglis was born in Manor, Peebles in abt 1804 to John Inglis (shepherd and later milk man) and Agnes Hastie
He clearly stated it in every census return and his parents were confirmed on his death certificate.
The trouble is that I can't find his birth or his parents marriage. William went on to marry the daughter of a shepherd from Jeanfield Parish, Newlands Peeblesshire called James Wilson. It all fits but I can't quite see how!
I am hoping that someone will recognise any of my ancestors and be able to confirm dates or that they were actually in Peebles.
Thank you
Alison

Offline dex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Inglis/Hastie/Wilson familes in Manor, Peebles
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I had a spare minute or two when I was at Scotland's Peoples Centre in Edinburgh this week so had a look at your enquiry. I was unable to find a birth entry for William Inglis on or around 1804.
I did find an index entry for the marriage of John Inglis to Margaret Hasty on 09 June 1799 at West Linton but unfortunately the page on which it is recorded is so feint and faded that it is not possible to pick out any other details. The OPR ref is 773/0040.
There were no other entries bearing similar names around this time so it is a possible.

Dex 

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that is incredibly kind of you. It looks like it must be the one so I will get some credits and buy the record to look at, this is so exciting and I am really grateful that you took time at the archives to look into this for me.
Alison

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
hi Alison
Do you have the name of the farm at Manor, as it is a valley name, with several farms along it.
Also- you mention Jeanfield Parish, Newlands, but it is actually Newlands which is the Parish near West Linton, now merged with Kirkurd and called Kirkurd and Newlands Parish. Do you have dates of death for the ones in Newlands Parish? I can check the graveyard if that's any help?
Avril
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mrs a

Thank you for replying.

The only address for James Wilson was on the marriage certificate in 1825 of his daughter Catherine as 'shepherd at Jeanfield Parish of Newlands' and unfortunately there was no mention of a farm.

Catherine was born in West Calder in 1806, some of her siblings were born in West Linton and two had baptism details as  'associate congregation, West Linton'. Catherine's husband was William Inglis b.1804 in Peebles, his father was a shepherd but I haven't been able to locate any records for his birth and so can't find any more accurate information.

I would love it if you could have a look in the churchyard, that would be great. James Wilson left to live with his children in Portobello but his wife disappeared, she was Katherine Wilson nee Nisbet b. 1781. Their last child was born in 1827 in Newlands and I have always assumed that she died around that time and she may be in the churchyard! She and James Wilson got married in Kirkund on the 16th Feb 1805 so they seem to have been locals.

It is very kind of you to offer to look, If Katherine Wilson around 1827 is there it could answer a lot of questions. I think both families came from there and I am starting to get a feel for the geography but it is difficult at a distance.

Thank you again

Alison

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
have had a look at my list of graves/inscriptions at Newlands Churchyard but can't see any names of your ancestors. They could, of course be in either unmarked graves or one where the inscription is illegible.
There are also graveyards at Kirkurd Church, West Linton and Kirkton manor, which may possibly be where there are some family burials.Scottish Borders Coucil may have details of burials in the area
I cannot see a place called Jeanfield in Newlands parish, so can't help on the location.

Avril
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avril
Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me. Family history is the intriguing and frustrating thing I have ever done but I suspect that is a big part of the fascination!
It was really kind of you to help
Alison

Offline dex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

Browsing again and noted the further replies to your post. It got me looking to see if I could find Jeanfield in the Parish of Newlands. I managed to find it on an old map as per this link:
http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/thomson/457.html. If you enlarge the map you will see in block letters the word NEWLANDS with Parish a bit below. Look slightly to the left of the word Newlands and you will see Jeanfield. This will give you a better idea of the geography at the time.

Dex   

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted, Dex!
I've lived in the area for 33 years and never heard of Jeanfield. Interesting tho that it is shown to be in West lintonParish. Had a look on google maps and it looks as if is possibly the group of trees in the centre of
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/West+Linton+EH46+7BY/@55.7257957,-3.3501647,875m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887e8d77a401485:0xce97f03246557836!8m2!3d55.7233158!4d-3.3281657