Author Topic: 19/8/16 William Faris Hetherington, Private of the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great uncle, William Faris Hetherington, regimental #158111, joined the 81st Battalion in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 1915 as a 31 year old farmer from Ireland.  He trained in the city until on April 28th, 1916 his unit sailed for England.  When he arrived at Salisbury Plain, he continued to train but events in Belgium lead to a fast transfer. 

I am paraphrasing from an excellent account written by Capt. S.G. Bennett on the events of the 4th CMR that has helped me to understand what my great uncle experienced in The Great War right up until he fell in the trenches of The Bluff.  It is a free ebook you can find at;
https://archive.org/details/mountedrifles00bennuoft (please remove this link if I'm not allowed to post it) 

I am paraphrasing here from descriptions of Capt. Bennett taken from war diaries;

Canadians were holding the line in the Ypres Salient and on a rather dry summer day on June 2nd, described as "a calm, beautiful and noticeably quiet morning" in Sanctuary Woods.  Seemingly out of nowhere, the sky opened up and the bombardment continued at full strength for 4 and a half hours.  At the end of the day for the 4th CMR, only 3 officers of 22 came out of the trenches and 73 men of 680 answered to roll call on June 4th.  They were devastated.

On June 7th, my great uncle William landed in France and immediately left for Ypres.  He arrived for duty with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles at Sanctuary Woods on June 9th with 562 other reinforcements.  Once at the Western front, they first gathered for introduction to the landscape and the trenches where he was put to work supporting the 7th Battalion as a workforce reinforcing communication trenches by night.  On July 13th they marched for for billets in Ypres.  On July 23rd his unit took over the front line from the 5th CMR.  Snipers and bombardments continued to take its toll on the officers and men alike until the battalion was relieved to billets on the 27th.  By August 8th his unit had relieved the 14th Battalion, worked for a week at Swan Chateau and then made their way to The Bluff.  On August 19th, 1916 my great uncle was called up with 5 others to work on a trench known as 30S.  They were digging dug-outs and doing trench work when at approximately 2:30 in the afternoon, a random enemy shell exploded in their trench wounding two and killing my great uncle William Hetherington along with three others.  He had nothing more than $1.93 Canadian in his pocket.

William Faris Hetherington now rests in the Bedford House Cemetery in Belgium.  His time in the war was short but nonetheless critical to the success of the Canadians who continued to fight and die for our freedom.  With his fierce Irish tenacity and courage, he faced his fears and contributed to his unit to the end of his days.  I am very proud of him. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 19/8/16 William Faris Hetherington, Private of the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Just wondered if you had seen this  :-\

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5945392
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: 19/8/16 William Faris Hetherington, Private of the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
The Canadians were as brave as lions & well deserving of their Memorial at Vimy Ridge.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie I had not seen that page.  And yes, the Canadians sure did have a ferocious sense of bravery.  Lions...   ...absolutely!  Especially remarkable to me is that many of those that fought started out as untrained civilians with no previous connection to any form of military. 

Thanks everyone for your replies. 

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline jackson926

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 17 00:47 GMT (UK) »
I am doing some genealogy research on my Grandmother's family, and I'm wondering if
we might have a family connection.

My Grandmother, Fanny Beattie was born in Co. Fermanagh in 1888.  Her parents were James Beattie and Helena Hetherington.  Helena was born in 1857.  Helena's father was William Hetherington.  He was a farmer.  They lived in the area around Pettigo.  I think they lived in Co. Donegal as well. 

Helena emigrated to the U.S. in 1922.  She lived in New Jersey and is buried there.   

Hope to hear from you.

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 17 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your post Jackson926.  To be honest I am not sure if there is a connection here or not.  I am currently working on the Young family line of my lineage and have yet to really delve into the Hetheringtons.  William Faris Hetherington was the brother of my great grandmother Edith.  They came to Canada together in 1904 which is where he enlisted.  Their father was Thomas Hetherington, a successful draper in Dundalk until his retirement in 1916 to Warrenspoint.  Thomas states on the census that he was born in 1855 in Co. Leitrim and his father is listed as Robert Hetherington on his marriage certificate to Annie Elizabeth Craig.  By 1880 he was running a successful business in Pettigo Co. Donegal where 4 of his 5 children were born.  His 5th, Florence, was born in Dundalk.  It is possible that there is a connection but I have yet to investigate that side of the family.  I'm working on one side of the family at a time so as to stay on task and on track.  If I do find any connection you will be one of the first to know!