Author Topic: Another Boreham problem please  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Ned

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Another Boreham problem please
« on: Tuesday 29 November 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Seeking the father of Maria Boreham, she married William Bugg in Hawstead in 1833, he died in 1841. They had a daughter, Emma, born in 1837, on the 1841 census Emma Bugg is with the Thomas Boreham family at Pinfold End Hawstead, on the 1851 census she is with the same family at the same address but listed as Emma BOREHAM, Grand Daughter, could her father be on of Thomas Boreham's sons ?.
Your comments would be much appreciated,
Ned

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Boreham problem please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify is it Maria you want to know the father of or Emma?

If Emma was granddaughter to Thomas Boreham then he was her grandfather through Maria.

Emma's father would be William Bugg.

Where is Maria on census or did she pass away too? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There is no death for a William Bugg in 1841 so don't know what became of her father.

However, Maria Bugg bc.1812 was bur.10/6/1841 Hawstead (just 4 days after 1841 census) so looks like it was her mother (not father) who died in 1841.    William and Maria had also had a son William bp.20/7/1834 Hawstead who was bur.28/1/1838 Hawstead.   Can't see what became of William Bugg senior.

It would appear to me that Emma Bugg born 1837 was raised by her maternal grandparents Thomas and Ann Boreham - perhaps abandoned by her father - and for whatever reason (her own choice or grandparents) she became Emma Boreham.   (There is no birth/baptism for an Emma Boreham at Hawstead for the relevant time).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Maria Boreham was baptised as Mira Boreham, b.4/3/1812, bp.8/3/1812 Hawstead, dau. of Thomas and Anne.

Thomas Boreham, of Hawstead, married Anne Miller 27/11/1804 Nowton, Suffolk.

Both events found on FindMyPast.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Ned

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all replies. Yes, Annette7 my error, it was Maria who died in 1841 not William.
Your answers have solved my problem.
Regards
ned

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette7 - Just to say there's a William Bugg at neighbouring Great Whelnetham in the 1841 census, aged 33, who could perhaps be Maria's (very recently) widowed husband. This may also be the same William who married Susan Pollard at Hawstead in 1837, but I don't know if the groom in that marriage is shown as a widower or not. William could perhaps be the son of the William and Ann Bugg shown in the preceding household entry to Emma Bugg in the 1841 census for Hawstead. W Bug married Anne Greenwood in 1805 at Hawstead, according to Boyd's Marriages. Regards

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette7 - Just to say there's a William Bugg at neighbouring Great Whelnetham in the 1841 census, aged 33, who could perhaps be Maria's (very recently) widowed husband. This may also be the same William who married Susan Pollard at Hawstead in 1837, but I don't know if the groom in that marriage is shown as a widower or not. William could perhaps be the son of the William and Ann Bugg shown in the preceding household entry to Emma Bugg in the 1841 census for Hawstead. W Bug married Anne Greenwood in 1805 at Hawstead, according to Boyd's Marriages. Regards

I agree that this could well be the scenario - the marriage to Susan Pollard was actually in 1847 (not 1837).   However, the actual marriage details are not available online to determine his status but since he was almost 40 probably a widower.

Annette   
London -  Monk

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Annette - yes, sorry, 1847 for the marriage - regards, Shane