Author Topic: The Brick Wall Of Brick Walls  (Read 12704 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Brick Wall Of Brick Walls
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I think it is all still very much "work in progress", GJJW-1988, looking at possibilities and trying to follow them through to see if anything comes up which either makes them more likely and worth looking deeper , or alternatively something comes up that rules that possibility out completely.
Lots of Family History research follows that pattern! And it can take a long time to actually get to a "conclusion", either proven or just by the weight of circumstantial evidence one way or another! Maybe years.

Have a look through all these posts carefully one by one and get your head around what is being looked at.  Try googling, or looking closer at what has already been found, you just never know where the next "possible" may be found!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Nashua, where they moved to in New Hampshire, seems to have a strong Lithuanian connecting including 2 Lithuanian cemeteries http://global.truelithuania.com/new-hampshire-1083/

Perhaps it might be worth seeing if there is a local library/newspaper archive.  You might be able to find obits etc.

And Lizdb's advice is a good one - at the moment there is no confirmed link between the two Vincent marriages.

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all soo much! It means so much to me! I am sure you all know this feeling of banging your head agajnst a brick wall feeling like you've exhausted all possibilities. May I ask one last favour...has anyone found his death between 1894 and 1897/9? I am trying to make sure I am not just being dim and missing him somewhere.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
This might be a long shot. I looked in FreeBMD and there was one death that might be close:

March 1895, Vincent J A Markesky, Wolverhampton

The surname is a little like some that you mentioned earlier.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 December 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Good spot on the surname Vance, but I think it can be discounted.  Using the GRO index, which gives age at death, it looks as if full name was Vincent James Alexander Markesky and he died aged 5.

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 December 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all sooo much for your help! It's been massively massively helpful! I did have one last thing to ask...we had a theory that possibly Catherine's partner Michael Brannan (with whom she had a child but didn't marry) had a wife by the name of Bridget and we cannot find her death anywhere and we can't find Vincent's death anywhere - is there a chance they ran off together? What do you all think? Her name was Bridget Brannan/Brennan.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 December 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 were Michael and Catherine Brannan in 21 Gould Street, Manchester?

If so, then on the 1891 census, it does look as if Michael's wife was Bridgit: RG12; Piece: 3242; Folio: 61; Page: 38

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 December 16 15:18 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of Bridget Br?nn?n deaths in Manchester between 1891 and 1901 - neither are a perfect fit with her age from the 1891 census (which gives DOB as 1851) but this one is the closest: Bridget Brennan  aged 41  died Jun qtr 1896.

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 December 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes they were in Gould Street, his profession was something to do with beer or pubs. Ah OK, so that death might be her in 1896. Thanks guys!