Author Topic: The Brick Wall Of Brick Walls  (Read 12632 times)

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Brick Wall Of Brick Walls
« on: Thursday 01 December 16 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, firstly allow me to apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section - I am quite new to the whole thing. I am here after someone told me that "if there is any information to be found those on Rootschat will find it". I am completely and utterly stuck with a problem and I am hoping someone here can help me! I am looking for my great great great grandfather, Vincent. He has the following surnames - Miloskie, Muluskie, Mielianckas, Meicukas, Meicueas, Meicklaus, Micklaus, Miller. He was, according to the 1891 census, born in Russia in 1868. However people have told me that the ckas ending of his name sounds more Lithuanian and Baltic and Miloskie sounds more Polish. I have been looking for his immigration records with, thus far, no success. I am also looking for his death and his final resting place, again with no success. I know that he married my great great great grandmother in 1890 (Catherine) and his last child was born Mary Muluskie in 1894 and then...he vanishes! I cannot find him anywhere! I have searched, and searched and found nothing! His wife, Catherine later has a child with another man whom she doesn't marry...this is around 1899. So I am trying desperately to find 1) his immigration records and b) where he vanished to and what happened! I have checked the 1881 census but couldn't find him on the census and so I am lead to believe that he must only have come to the country between 1881 and 1890. Any information or suggestions people can give me would be amazing! I can't help but feel that I am being a bit stupid and the answer is staring me in the face but I cannot find it! This time last year my family had no idea about any of our family history and to have got this far really makes me happy but...to get the last bit would really be the cherry on the cake! I just need some help to get there! I'd mainly, especially, love to find out where he says he came from. Thanks in advance for any help! G

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Brick Wall Of Brick Walls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Was he ever Naturalised, or gain British Citizenship?
Have a read of this:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/naturalised-britons/

Russian History is very complicated and, like most of Europe, boundaries changed over the years.

Someone describing themselves as "Russian" could well be Polish.
Prior to 1917 the Russian Empire included most of Dnieper Ukraine, Belarus, Bessarabia, the Grand Duchy of Finland, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia (including Samegrelo), the Central Asian states of Russian Turkestan, most of the Baltic governorates, as well as a significant portion of the Kingdom of Poland and Ardahan, Artvin, Iğdır, Kars and northeastern part of Erzurum Provinces from the Ottoman Empire. Even Alaska until 1867!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Gosh GJJW - you have indeed thrown down a challenging challenge!

Welcome to Rootschat!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat

Just putting the 1891 up here, to save us all looking for it:

10 Frederick Street, Manchester
Vincent Miloskic 23 cabinet maker bn Russia
Catherine 23 bn Manchester
John 1 mth bn Manchester
John Whitcomb 24 boarder shoe maker bn Russia

Have you got Vincent and Catherine's marriage cert? Who does Vincent name as his father?
Have you followed John Whtcomb at all to see if his whereabouts can offer any clues?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello! Wow! So many responses so fast! Yes I do have their marriage certificate. His father is listed as Simon (although in Russian it could be Simeon) and he is listed as a farmer.

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I am unaware if he was ever naturalised. I forgot to add that my great great grandmother recounted a story to my grandmother that her father (Vincent) died and they had to go and live with another family...however I believe this was a fabrication just to either comfort my ggg grandmother as she would have been only a child or it was favourable to telling everyone he deserted them! As you can imagine...I am kind of hoping he did pass away and didn't desert them but I am prepared for anything. Spidermonkey - yes everyone I have spoken to thus far has said that it was definitely a challenge! My own family have been looking for years and never got this far. Due to the different spellings of his name I have had to keep searching for similar sounding names in the hope that they were related and then order their birth or death certificates in the hope I was on the right track. It's been a hard slog to get this far. Unfortunately anyone who would know anything about it have either passed away or unfortunately are in no way healthy enough now to recount the history due to alzheimer's. So it's just down to me

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I tried to find John Whitcomb, but again he has eluded me thus far!

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:12 GMT (UK) »
There are Alien Entry Books for the period 1794 to 1921. They are at TNA but are available via Ancestry. They are not indexed, so it would mean going through dozens of books.

(On edit). There's a handwritten index at the end of each book, under Alien's Name, grouped together by first letter of last name,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/alien-entry-books/
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Mary's birth cert?  Is Vincent described as a cabinet maker on that too?