Author Topic: Richard Thomas Newill born in Chicago.  (Read 2671 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Thomas Newill born in Chicago.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 December 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
There's a baptism in Southsea (St Jude) on 29 November 1862

Richard Thomas Newill, son of William Newill, pensioner and Martha

This is from a transcription. I haven't seen the register page.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 December 16 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Notice on the 1871 Census Blockhouse Fort Portsmouth Harbour  Portsea Island Portsmouth -  Richard Newill - born Chatham 1855 - Boy 2 Class (Boy) not on board. (coincidental that there is a Naval Theme ???)

Date of birth 2 April 1955 - Date of voulnteering 5 October 1869 - Continuous Service Number:   10337B

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7938801

Sandra

Richard T Newill b 2 Apr 1855 Surrey , number 10337B , signed on for 10 years ( this would be after service as a boy ) 9 Apr 1873 and  served to 3 Jan 1876. Reason for discharge : run Sheerness.

I think this means he deserted. There are no further entries in the record.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 December 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Wow, I've just gone on line & am amazed at all the replies.    Thanks to Sandra & CB53, & many many thanks to ShaunJ, you've really gone overboard!
I haven't got time right now to read them all as I have a busy day ahead but shall reply eventually.  Watch this space!
Thanks again,  Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 December 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
No wonder I couldn't find him in the US!
When I found him in 1911 saying b Chicago I didn't look for him anymore in the UK.
So well done to you all for looking there.
ShaunJ, I can't open Mary Newill v RTN 1904, however it fits in with me finding a marriage for him to a Mary Kennedy in 1888 in Chicago.  No doubt he left her in the lurch & she was trying to catch up with him to get support.  She died the next year I believe in 1905 aged 29.
Don't think the drunk & disorderly RTN is mine as he should have been in the US in 1901.
Yes Sandra I believe the family in Medway Union Workhouse was his, but where was William, his father?    I can't find him in 1861.
In 1841 his family was living in Portsea & Wm his father was a shoemaker.
In 1851 they were living in Chatham & Wm was a policeman.
In 1861 they were in the workhouse. Martha stated wife of Wm Newill, shoemaker, but he wasn't living in the workhouse with them.
In 1871 they, Martha now widowed, are in lodgings in Portsea & Martha called herself a policeman's wife.   She died in 1878 in Portsea.
Are these 2 different families do you think??    What's going on here, can anyone understand it???
In 1871 RTN signed himself up in Portsmouth for the Navy, since he probably needed a job now his father had  died.
Thanks to you all for all this help, I've certainly made progress here.
Anymore comments from anyone please??
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 December 16 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I think it is the same person in 1901.

William back with his mother in 1861 - occupation shoemaker - same as 1841

1861 Landport Portsea Island Portsmouth Hants

RG 9 Piece 644 Folio 6 Page 8

Ann Newill   79
Mary Ann Newill   50
William Newill   47 Born Portsea. Shoemaker.
Emily M Newill   20

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Don't think the drunk & disorderly RTN is mine as he should have been in the US in 1901

But I did find him in Portsmouth in the 1901 census !

Also there seems to be a Newhaven connection with the birth of Richard Thomas Victor Newill there in 1905 (mother's maiden name Buss), and Rhoda in 1910 (MMN Croucher)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 December 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra, for finding him in 1861 living with his mother, when his wife & family were living in the workhouse!   Sandra, finding him living with his mother in 1861 enabled me to go back another generation too, so that was helpful.

Also ShaunJ you're correct he was in the UK in 1901 & living in digs.  So I can't disown the drunk & disorderly one after all!!!!

I'm still beavering away, but you've all been most helpful, thanks so much.     Amberly.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 December 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Great to see you breaking down those brick walls. Shout if we can help further.

Cheers
Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 December 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sandra!
Amberly