Author Topic: Where is 'Gerddi'  (Read 5145 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is 'Gerddi'
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
In the 1881 census Gerddi is listed next to "Yacht" and then Bethel Terrace.The Bethel Chapel still exists,of course,on Vale Road opposie Ty'n Rhyl.This map show the location of "Yacht (Farm)"

Could Bethel Terrace be the unnamed group of buildings next to the Chapel and Gerddi(Terrace) the unnamed group on the corner of Cefndy Road/Vale Road?

Like Roger I can't find it named on a map, but going by the other locations on the census I agree that it's in this area. You can see 'Yacht' here
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102181588#zoom=4&lat=1952&lon=8070&layers=BT

This posting on Rhyl History Club places it in the Cefndy area

My great great grandmother (Amelia Hoskins) and her two sons (Ellis and my own Great-Taid Edwin) lived in Gerddi cottages, in Cenfdy area, in the 1860s, but I don’t know where that is… long since demolished I’ve no doubt,

https://rhylhistoryclub.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/rhyl-in-the-60s/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Just found this, Gerddi Terrace on Cefndy Road.
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3851752/3851755/24/cefndy%20AND%20gerddi

You can do a search of the Rhyl Advertiser here  http://newspapers.library.wales/home and there are several hits for Gerddi, some of which place it on Cefndy Road.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been out for the evening. Thank you all for your replies. My subscription for FindMyPast has just expired and I was checking through 'my records' and I came across this address. I now think the 7 cottages were near the junction of Cefendy Road and Vale Road. Yacht farm is 7 acres and that would probably be the area where Roger Jones is now.

Thank you Despair for the paper cutting. That may have solved the brick wall that I have with this family. The death of David Price Jones is not possible because he lived to be over 70 and lived in Mostyn. There was another child Robert Wallace Jones who also died but he became my wife's grandfather. Are you still with me?

In the 1911 census this family stated that they had 8 children and 4 had died. I only knew of 7.
Now the Robert Wallace Jones died also aged about 3yrs and there is a death certificate, but they must have conceived another boy and gave him the same name, but there is no birth certificate. It now seems possible that they did the same with David Price Jones, and that could account for the missing child. Again I cannot find a second birth certificate. (The original D P jones was born 3Q 1878 at Wrexham and that corresponds to the death in the paper)
The family appear to have saved themselves the cost of 2 birth certificates.

The families births and deaths are all recorded at St Thomas in Rhyl, so I now need to check the register for the death in 1881. I have old maps of Rhyl which I copied in the library. But they are in a safe place.

Again thank you all for your replies.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I can see your problem.There is continuing census,marriage and 1939 register data relating to David P(rice) Jones born 1878,and no death record in 1881.Perhaps,in the old saying "..reports of his death were premature.." There is,however,a death record for Robert Wallace Jones in 1881.I think David Price Jones later names his son Robert Wallace Jones in 1900.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a further anomaly,in that David Price Jones is registered in the Wrexham area in 1878,and Robert Wallace Jones in 1878 in the Holywell area only one quarter apart.
The 1881 death record for Robert Wallace Jones in Rhyl gives his address as "Gardens" the equivalent of "Gerddi" as ScouseBoy pointed out.
(I suppose it is too much of a coincidence that The Coronation Gardens are directly across the road from the proposed location for Gerddi?).

Regards
Roger

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
This will muddy the water!
The newspaper cutting identified by Despair and JenB is clear enough. It concerned the death of David Price Jones on the 21/10/1881. However the death certificate for Robert Wallace Jones is also the 21st October 1881 at Gerddi in Rhyl. He too was 3years old and died of convulsions with his father present at death. Why would the paper list the death of one child and not the other?

There is no death certificate for D P Jones. So it seems to me that the newspaper has got its facts wrong. It would be interesting if they printed an apology.

Incidentally, David Price Jones was married 1898 aged 23 and died 1955 aged 79. Birth circa 1875/6
There is a birth reg 2Q 1876 at Wrexham. The census has him aged 4 which would be correct.

Coronation Gardens opened 1952? backs onto the Botanical Gardens which I think were Edwardian.

Despair; What records are you referring to when you say the address for RWJones was the gardens?
Also (to my knowledge) DPJones did not have any children. I cannot find a birth reg for a RWJones in 1900. However your link of RWJones and DPJones in 1900 is interesting. Do you have any more detail please?

Thank you again for the work you have done.
Regards Eldon.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
 Newspapers still get their facts wrong today.

They are full of mistakes

Even the BBC. Make mistakes. They got my name wrong once
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Eldon, I apologise if I have muddied the waters.

The newspaper article I cited was the result simply of a search for the address Gerddi, as I was trying to find where it was located in answer to your original question. It was not the result of any specific surname search. I think between us Despair and I have found the location satisfactorily.

Please if anyone has the local knowledge to pinpoint the address, I would  appreciate it.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Sending PM to Eldon with apologies-got the wrong David Price Jones marriage and offspring.

Regards
Roger