Author Topic: Mallow Cork help please  (Read 635 times)

Offline Eden66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mallow Cork help please
« on: Wednesday 07 December 16 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello ,

I'm wondering if anyone can help or advise on  Mallow Cork parish records in regards to Church Baptisms or Christenings etc ?
I have a slightly unusual situation as i have a Cornish ancestor by the unusual name of Thomas Menheniott - a typical cornish surname but  found also under variants such as Menhenick/Menhinick/Menhenitt/ Menhenet etc etc .
He served in the 20th Of Foot regiment 1809 - 1821 during the Peninsular War  but his service records show his regiment  spent a number of years throughout  Ireland but based mainly in Cork .
The issue is  this ,   Cornish census records state his wife Mary  as bn in Ireland and their 4 (known) children all  listed as bn  Mallow Cork .  circ 1818-1830 .
I have tried for many years to find out more about the family and would dearly love to find birth or Baptism records for the children i know and any others i may be unaware of .
The known children and approximate birth dates are -
Catherine/Kitty  c 1818-9
Ann   c1823-4
Sarah  c 1825-7
John  c 1828-30

After leaving his army service in St Helena  he  returned to Ireland  but
evidently at some time after 1830 returned  to Cornwall where the family were found in 1841 census & onwards .
Naturally i'm also keen to know more about Mary and her Irish family but never had any idea about her maiden name , until i recently found a record which i strongly believe is them .
The overiding problem is the unusual surname causing them to be found  under  potential  spelling variants , such as  this  marriage record -

Diocese of Cloyne - Mallow Cork Ireland  Roman Catholic
27th Dec 1815
Thomas Minionet
Mary Roarke (or Rourke)

I believe this is highly likely to be  my Thomas & Mary  as i'm not aware of any Irish name which resembles MINIONET  and the location and era would  fit with the known family info .
However i would be interested if any Irish researchers  might recognize or be familiar with Minionet or similar as an Irish name ?

Basically this enquiry is - despite finding the marriage record (above) , i'm finding it very difficult to locate Baptism or Christening records for Cork and particularly Mallow .
Does anyone know if these records survive  for the years ( 1816-1830) and are they available to search ?

Apologies for the length of this post but if anyone can offer info any  help or advice on the above i would be very grateful for any suggestions .

Kind regards
Eden

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mallow Cork help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 08:00 GMT (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.