Author Topic: FOSTER/GREENWOOD marriage - Hunslet c 1810-1814  (Read 3527 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTER/GREENWOOD marriage - Hunslet c 1810-1814
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 December 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
1871 - Thomas and Ann Kerr in Hunslet, no-one else in household. She's born Lancaster, which makes me wonder if they are the William Kerr and Ann Dowbiggin who married in Lancaster in 1850. Still no luck with 1851, but I suspect they may be a red herring as far as the Fosters are concerned.

Unless... might Mary Ann have gone to live with her father after Rachel died? And if so, was he William Kerr or Thomas Derham? Interestingly, Thomas Derham is listed as married in 1861, but his wife isn't there. Might she have kicked him out or left him if he had had a fling with Rachel?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 December 16 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information on the Hunslet Cemetery.  I kept thinking I wasn't getting anywhere with this family.  Everywhere I look....seem to be a dead end with no information from Hunslet prior to 1837 or so., especially on the net.

Back when Frederick arrived in VDL in 1844 his indent named his father as Jno, mother - Sarah. 1 brother James and 5 sisters- Mary, Rachael, Sarah, Jane and Martha.   

Frederick seems to have had the sisters in correct age order - if that is so that means that the illusive Jane may have been born after Sarah (1826) and before Martha (c1832).

It appears that Elizabeth was about 7 years of age in the 1841 Census, but probably deceased by the time Frederick arrived in VDL in 1844 as she was not named by him at that time.

Because Frederick was on the 1841 Census I assumed that the second Sarah on the sheet was in fact Jane - but who knows :-\.  Until I can find some births and parentage for these  children I'm stuck!!. 

Were BDM's listed in the local newspapers of the day (of course if there was a newspaper for Hunslet)?? 

Webby

Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 December 16 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is a relative to your Foster's or not ?

Leeds Intelligencer (Weekly) 15th November 1845.

Marriages

Leeds Wednesday last, at the Superintendent registrar's office

Mr John Foster, a shopkeeper of Hunslet to Miss Sarah Rothwell of Meadow lane Leeds.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 December 16 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info....I will add it to the Foster's information, you never know when something might come in handy :)

Webby

Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 December 16 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm after checking UK Gale 19th century newspapers stock website -  that !! - there was no entry of a John Foster marriage found around Leeds or Yorkshire or UK 1809 to 1815 newspapers

There could be other newspapers not covered by the Gale website and you should contact Leeds library local studies department in the UK for all newspaper in Leeds covering said dates above but could incure a fee.

My own view is they either jumped the brush in front of their peers in the parish accepted as a marriage by the community them days with a bond of intent allegation to marry or not --but by personal promise to each other in front of 12 plus peers being those holding the brush or quarter staff (like a jury of law) or John Foster's wife Sarah was not called Greenwood

Birth by a 'walking out together' (like today engaged) couple seen by peers  before marriage was also accepted as not being an illegitimate child birth and  the child would take the father surname  and not considered born out of wedlock

:) Hope it helps.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 December 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for checking the newspapers for me.....I was really hoping that something may have turned up in the papers :(

Anyway, until I can find some other information to try and tie in, I'm pretty much at a standstill with this family (once again).

Thanks everyone for your input with this family.

Regards

Webby :)
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTER Marriage - Hunslet - No Marriage Records from 1753-1837.
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 May 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
Just an update to the above.  I decided to try once again to establish a marriage for the above.!

After sometime (COVID) time.  I've had responses back from the WYJS and also the Borthwick regarding marriage registers for Hunslet about the time frame I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, there are no Hunslet marriage registers from 1753-1837. The archivist seems to think that the chapelry registers end in 1753 and the marriage recorded in Hunslet register also end in 1753.  The WYJS hold later marriage records 1837-1977.  The chapelry system was dissolved in the 1800's and parishes had grown large enough to break away from the mother church so these later marriage are not recorded in the Leeds St. Peter collection. Borthwick hold baptisms/burials for 1813-1837  :(

So at least we now know who holds what registers for Hunslet (if anyone else is looking)

Kind regards

Webby

Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 October 23 06:41 BST (UK) »
Just been re-reading through the thread...and I've once again written this year to the WYAS (2023) regarding church records for Hunslet. 

This time - I got another archivist who said that yes they do have them (just shows you that you need to revisit certain information if your not happy - just in case!)......and they have said that the baptisms/deaths - some banns were in with the St. Peter's Church in Leeds records - which they are.  You have to search, but mostly they are listed towards the end of each year.  They are also on Ancestry if you have a subscription.

BUT...there are still no marriages for John & Sarah (anyone) at that time that fit. 

Dobfarm could be correct in that the marriage was by different means than normally what was expected.

I've also have the death certificate for Elizabeth Foster aged 15 and a Millhand, living in Walker Court and died of cholera (I did read that there was an epidemic that year)- the informant was 'John Foster' in attendance at the death....but not named as her father? 

Still looking for baptisms (?) for Elizabeth and Jane. They could very well be the children of the older Foster girls....because Mary the eldest child of John & Sarah is also AWOL at this time....... Very puzzling that's for sure. :)

Cheers
Webby
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 October 23 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update.

Still looking for baptisms (?) for Elizabeth and Jane. They could very well be the children of the older Foster girls....because Mary the eldest child of John & Sarah is also AWOL at this time....... Very puzzling that's for sure. :)

As most of the discussion is nearly 7 years old, I'm afraid I don't really remember much about it now. However, did you ever get anywhere with Jane's birth, to see what the certificate says about her mother? If you haven't got a certificate yet, the major change from 7 years ago is that you should now be able to get an instant copy of the birth registration for only £2.50. Even if you have to get both of the ones we found, that's still cheaper than the paper or pdf (non-certified) ones that used to be the only options.

Alternatively, the GRO index gives mothers' maiden names for both those births. Did anyone ever check for corresponding marriages to a Foster, in case one of them was Sarah with a different surname?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk