Author Topic: Co-operative Christmas Catalogue - Approx. Date please  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Co-operative Christmas Catalogue - Approx. Date please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 December 16 00:13 GMT (UK) »
My brothers were 10 and 13, thirteen being the age when they were usually allowed to wear long trousers - in other words they "dropped".   Those suits were new and as I have a photo taken in 1945 of the teenager as a youngster, I can tell you that the wide lapels were also fashionable then.

First stop for most things in those days was the Co-Op for the divi.(dividend).   my first memory of the women in our family collecting their Divi., was us being part of a veritable army of women walking through town to eventually end up queueing in the street and slowly shuffling forward until we were  in the building and had sight of very welcome coins  :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 December 16 00:18 GMT (UK) »
First stop for most things in those days was the Co-Op for the divi.(dividend).   my first memory of the women in our family collecting their Divi., was us being part of a veritable army of women walking through town to eventually end up queueing in the street and slowly shuffling forward until we were  in the building and had sight of very welcome coins  :D

My Gran could still rattle off her divi number when she was in her 90s :)  .
This catalogue would most likely be hers and when my parents moved into her house before her death (and then inhertited the house), the catalogue would be added to their own bits and bobs !

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 December 16 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Looks as if this catalogue originated in Scotland?

"Pioneer" was a general Co-op brand, I think, but you have on some of the items SCWS and the male outfitting is branded "Scotto"

I can remember my Mum's number - and the tickets we had to collect with that recorded on when we bought anything!

FS

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 December 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Clothes rationing started in June 1941 and ended in March 1949.  I remember my brother wearing a short pants suit like the one pictured in the early to mid 50s. Apparently parents were encouraged to buy clothing that was several sizes too big, so that children could "grow into them".  I also remember my mother taking the bus to the next town to stand in a long queue, as the rumour was that Clarks sandals were available, if you had the coupons, of course.  There were extra clothing coupons available for children. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Looks as if this catalogue originated in Scotland?

"Pioneer" was a general Co-op brand, I think, but you have on some of the items SCWS and the male outfitting is branded "Scotto"

I can remember my Mum's number - and the tickets we had to collect with that recorded on when we bought anything!

FS

Yes Familysearch - the brochure is from Scotland. I had tried to upload a scan of the front cover but it wouldn't oblige  ::). So today I have photographed using my phone to show the cover. Thanks for you interest and comments.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gillg,

Nice to spark some memories with this !
I am now inclined to think the catalogue is probably dated approx. 1955 due to the fact that rationing is not mentioned.
I also remember in the 60s clothing like coats and dresses being bought a bit on the big side so that you could grow into them ! ;D
I recall one of my friends wearing a Burberry raincoat ( when Burberry was very untrendy  :D ) and the sleeves were so long that her hands were lost up them .

Looby

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 December 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest it was early to mid 1950's.

Rationing for various foods ended at different time, those in the second illustration ended in May 1950,

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 December 16 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest it was early to mid 1950's.

Rationing for various foods ended at different time, those in the second illustration ended in May 1950,

Jebber

Ahhh thanks Jebber . So,if the rationing on those items had been lifted,  the brochure could be even Christmas 1950 ! I certainly don't think it's any later then 1955.
I just wish that somewhere amongst it's 25 pages of advertising the date had been printed ! As in.....All the best for 195?  ;D

Looby

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 December 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
1950s from me too...I have a similar photo to Rena's. Taken 1956ish
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU