Author Topic: Births of DAWSON family  (Read 1019 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Births of DAWSON family
« on: Tuesday 13 December 16 04:49 GMT (UK) »
In an earlier thread

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j12/

I was doubtful that Martha DAWSON (nee Buckingham) (1791-1854) was the mother of a 1 year old George in the 1841 Census.  I based this on an assumption that the list of the children living with her and her husband William DAWSON (1790-1848) at Wootton were her own issue, while of course the Census makes no such claim.  And I can't find a birth for George DAWSON in Woodstock in 1839-40 anywhere.

I wonder if anyone has information on the baptisms of the children of William and Martha in the period  1811 (they married in 1814) to 1840-most likely at Tackley.  My new theory is that at least one of the children living with them in the 1841 Census were not theirs by birth.  My direct ancestor James was baptised in 1818, and the 1841 Census also gives us Mary (c 1826), William (c 1826), Elizabeth (c 1829), John (c 1831), Henry (c 1836) and George (c 1840).
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Births of DAWSON family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »

Sarah baptised 17 January 1816 at Wootton, daughter of Wm and Martha Dawson, abode Wootton, father's profession Carter

Mary baptised 16 July 1820 at Tackley, daughter of William and Martha Dawson, abode this parish, father's profession Labourer

Elizabeth baptised 17 August 1828 at Tackley, daughter of William and Martha Dawson, abode Tackley, father's profession Labourer

Henry baptised 4 Oct 1835 at Tackley, son of William and Martha Dawson, abode Tackley, father's profession Labourer
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Can't find any likely candidates for a George Dawson at that time. Or any Georges that would fit in that timeframe in Tackley.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 21:44 GMT (UK) »

Sarah baptised 17 January 1816 at Wootton, daughter of Wm and Martha Dawson, abode Wootton, father's profession Carter

Mary baptised 16 July 1820 at Tackley, daughter of William and Martha Dawson, abode this parish, father's profession Labourer

Elizabeth baptised 17 August 1828 at Tackley, daughter of William and Martha Dawson, abode Tackley, father's profession Labourer

Henry baptised 4 Oct 1835 at Tackley, son of William and Martha Dawson, abode Tackley, father's profession Labourer

Thanks Decor!  That leaves William, John and George unaccounted for.  I wonder if George ? was Sarah's son?  I might try and find them in 1851.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've now found the baptisms of all the DAWSON children of William and Martha, and they were all their issue...with the exception of George, who remains a problem.

I can't find any George DAWSONs being born anywhere in Oxfordshire in the period 1837-1841. There's no George DAWSONs in the 1851 Census in that area.  I can't find any George WAITs (Sarah's husband, m 1838), PALMERs (Mary's husband, m 1841 ) or SMITH (Eliza's husband m 1840) either. 

Unless anyone has any other explanations, I guess he'll have to remain a mystery.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering. On 1851 James Dawson and wife Susan have an 11 year old Joseph. he's not with them on 1841 - they have an 11 day old daughter, so I wonder if he's with his Dawson grandparents about 5 houses away and somehow misnamed on 1841

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Mabel

I think you've come up with the only plausible explanation.

Perhaps the father said "Joe" in response to the question as to the baby's name (neither James nor Susannah could write) and the census taker might have heard it as "Geo".

Thanks for that!